Recommendations on which AGP to buy?

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Hi all,
We are looking to replace our 14' round (due to leaks). We have a small space, about 12' x 23'. Thinking about getting a hard sided pool, but funds are tight. We have a 1 HP Hayward pump. I have been researching the web, and feel overwhelmed. We would appreciate any suggestions.
Many thanks!
Liz

nelson411 said:
We are looking to replace our 14' round (due to leaks). We have a small space, about 12' x 23'.
How did you fit a 14' in that space?

Since funds are tight, and if you are a diyer, take a look at craigslist. I got mine for free...which appears to be unusual, but there are still some pretty low cost pools.

Also, stepping up to a intex ultra frame might be and option if you could go to 16' diameter. Many people on here talk highly of the that design.

Thanks for your quick reply!
How did you fit a 14' in that space?

Great question! After I posted,
I thought someone would ask
that!

We put part of the pool on the sidewalk in the backyard. It was almost level! :lol: I will take a look at the Intex ultra frame. How are those different from the blue ones?

I'll also check out Craigslist too! :goodjob:

Thanks!

Well...we are not sure now what pool to buy. :(

I keep going back in forth between the Intex Ultra Frame pool (12 X 24) or a hard sided pool, like the Doughboy Sand dollar II. (Obsessing about the pool beats having to grade final papers, though my DH is tired of the subject!) :-D

We will have to extend the concrete slab we have for either pool. So there is a cost there, but it would seem a better deal in the long run to go with the more expensive longer lasting pool.

Any suggestions would be great. Any one had a Sand dollar II before?

Thanks,

Liz :wave:

I don't think I can help you pinpoint an exact model or company but I'll tell you this...

Investment wise, if I had the money and the space, I'd go with a hard sided pool.

Right now, with summer coming, I'm just looking to get wet n' float on the cheap side. It's turning out to not be so cheap because I need a hillside excavated but I'm in the process of buying an INTEX 16'x48" metal frame pool. If I can get 2 summers out of it at the most, I'll be satisfied (some people are getting years out of theirs!!!).

I have to tell you though that Craig's List has some pretty amazing pools on there going for cheap! I have been looking there every night while at work and I do believe, if I haven't seen 500 pools, I haven't seen 1 going for next to nothing! :shock: I, myself, will not rule this option out next year, I'll tell you that!

Good Luck and keep us posted! :cool:

A used one : ) : ) But seriously, buying above grounds pool are like buying beds. You can be looking at the exact same pools, on different websites, and they will have different names. I bought a used pool, and after seeing all of the added cost (chemicals, sand for leveling, blocks for the legs, pool cove, pool bottom, water to fill it, electric, sod cutter, excavator, gaskets for the skimmer (not necessary on new pools), pvc for hard plumbing (not a necessity)), I am so glad I went with a used pool. The cost add up quick. I had an intex I bought used and used it for a couple of years (they hold up well and replacement parts are cheap on line) so that is a viable option. I am not a fan of the pumps they sell with those pools though. So there are a lot of different choices. Just make sure you factor in any additional cost like I listed above.

Hi jrh1010!

Good answer! :goodjob:

I'll take a look at Craigslist. Any recommendations on what to look for in a used pool? Brand, age, etc.? I figured I would have to buy a new liner, and I already have a good pump/filter.

How old was your intex when you bought it? What upgrades did you have to do on it, if any?

You're right about a pool with different names and costing different depending on whom you buy it from and what you have on it. That's why it's so confusing, and I'm worried about getting ripped off. :roll:

Thanks again! :whoot:

Linen is a great guy from what I know of him and everything he has pointed me to has been useful, as well as everyone else on here, so take any advice they give you for sure. As to what to look for, I was a little easier to shop for, mainly because I am putting a deck around mine, so asthetics were not really a big deal to me. From what I have learned, be extra careful with the bottom rails when removing them if you buy used. They tend to stick to the ground and are easily bendable. I ended up with a Aegean made by seaspray, but had no idea what I was buying. I bought two used (I couldnt pass up the second deal, it was too good) and I can tell you that Doughboy makes an outstanding pool. A lot of people like the resin top caps. I am partial to the metal, only because they can be sandblasted and powdercoated if they ever show wear, and half of the resin ones I took off the used pool cracked. Take pictures of EVERYTHING while the pool is still up. It will help a lot down the road when you are trying to put it back together. If there are any missing pieces, make a note at the time you disassemble so you dont forget what you need down the road. Take all the sand out of the sand filter if it has a sand filter. So you dont break the pieces on the inside. I tried the shop vac method, but that was a nightmare with wetsand. I ended up having to dig it all out of the filter by hand (which stunk horribly by the way). As for which one to buy, I would use Linens link to determine that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi jrh1010,

Thanks for the great advice! Those are great tips! :goodjob:

I would have never thought about the bottom rails. Most of the pools I've seen so far are a bit dirty, but I guess that doesn't matter as long as they are rust free and structurally sound, right? :)

My DH and I are not the best DIY'ers but we are willing to work hard. :hammer:

We are looking for a 12 X 20 or 24. Do you think it's possible to take a used round pool and convert it into an oval?

I saw something about it on another thread. Off to Craigslist! :party:

Many thanks!

Hi Linen,

No, the walls are supported quite differently and the rails are straighter on the sides then on the ends.
Good to know... :goodjob:

Just read your thread with msgdan. Great stuff to know. The commentary was so helpful, and the pictures were a great help too.I agree about Shadebuilder too. Been reading on his site as well.

So much to learn. Once we get the pool chosen, it's off to Pool School for both of us! I'm looking forward to learning the BBB method. I've been doing the chemicals for the past three years now, and still have no idea what I'm doing. Need a degree in Chemistry or "mad science"! :?

Thanks again!

nelson411 said:
So much to learn. Once we get the pool chosen, it's off to Pool School for both of us! I'm looking forward to learning the BBB method. I've been doing the chemicals for the past three years now, and still have no idea what I'm doing. Need a degree in Chemistry or "mad science"!
Once you start following the method taught on tfp, I think you will find it simple and if will quickly become a quick routine. Of course we are always here to help if you get stuck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.