Backyard project - new patio, shower, and shelter

I like your setup. It has a cozy feel and some good layout. [edit] Love your property! Spacious and lots of trees. Nice.

For the shower, I would have taken it much further. I'm all about a well designed outdoor shower that is both private, but gives lots of open sky view... can be really sexy. I'd love to combine that kind of outdoor shower with the purely functional setup you have (focused on just getting folks clean before entering the pool).

You could still convert yours. :cool:

harleysilo said:
Can you post an up close pic of shower sometime? How are winterizing it?
Hello. Sorry I did not see this before now. We live in FL so all we did for the shower is turn it on at a drip for the nights when it is expected to freeze. Here in FL that is generally only a handful of times throughout the winter.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Please pardon any typos!)

Malibu07 said:
We want to build a 10 x 10 shelter, gazebo or something over the brick patio area...
Where did you get the plans for your shelter?
We didn't use a formal plan per se. My husband just sort of made it up, planned it out on autocad, and made adjustments as he went. Worked out well!

hyperionguy said:
I like your setup. It has a cozy feel and some good layout. [edit] Love your property! Spacious and lots of trees. Nice.

For the shower, I would have taken it much further. I'm all about a well designed outdoor shower that is both private, but gives lots of open sky view... can be really sexy. I'd love to combine that kind of outdoor shower with the purely functional setup you have (focused on just getting folks clean before entering the pool).

You could still convert yours. :cool:
Thanks for the nice comments! Yes, we could enclose the shower and make it nicer and more private, but the yard is overall pretty private so we have not felt the need to do so. Still might be something to do someday. We never did get around to staining the concrete, so there is still some work to be done. I though we would do it this spring, but so far we have been too busy.

I waited about 2 weeks before staining the new concrete in our outdoor kitchen. I applied it with a pump up sprayer in several layers of different colors to give it a marbled look. If you plan to do it this way apply the layers in order from lightest to darkest. Also, buy more of the first color you apply. New concrete is "thirsty" and it soaks up more than you would think. (I learned this the hard way! LOL) The sealer was tacky for 2 or 3 weeks before it cured completely. If you must walk across it during this time make sure you don't have any dirt on your shoes. As britishexpat said, it's best to stay off of it. The area I did has a roof over it. It would probably cure faster if it gets sun.

We finally did the concrete stain earlier this year. I chose what I thought was a reddish color from the sample, but it turned out more of a terra cotta / pepto-bismol. We hated it. Complained to Lowe's, because it looked nothing like the sample, and they let us swap what we had left for a new color. This time I chose a darker brownish color, and when applied over the pinkish color, it turned out more like the red I wanted. Very happy now. Next summer, hope to put a shower curtain up for the outdoor shower. All projects are currently suspended for hunting season. :p
[attachment=0:veh1fvqj]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380820581.893916.jpg[/attachment:veh1fvqj]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380820581.893916.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380820581.893916.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 49
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.