Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opinion on Check Valves??

1. Back To Top    #1

Opinion on Check Valves??

Hi, I've been fighting an old Ortega check valve for about seven years. I've replaced the spring and seat assembly several times during my ownership. However, this last replacement only lasted approximately one week. It appears the valve housing may be bad as there is a flat spot on the seat assembly after usage. I'm tired of throwing money at it, so I plan to replace the whole thing.

I've read about the Jandy serviceable check valves and also the Magna check valves. Does anyone have any experience with either and have a strong opinion one way or the other?

The Magna looks attractive because it likely won't require additional configuration changes to accommodate longer runs for the increased head pressure, but it also doesn't look like they have a very big following. I will have to make some minor changes as there is no 90 degree version of the Magna.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Opinion on Check Valves??

From a quick glance at the Magna valves, it looks like a gimmick to me. 'Water Conditioning Magnets' what's that all about?

I'd stick with the Jandy, check valves. They're proven performers.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Opinion on Check Valves??

I was more curious about the magnets than the "water conditioning" properties of the valve, but I guess I'll give the Jandy a try, thanks for the response!