Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Questiong about PUCKS

1. Back To Top    #1

Questiong about PUCKS

Not sure where to post this especially because it's about the chlorine PUCK tabs that I should be weaned off of because of the BBB method but ... . I still do 'cheat' because when my cya gets too high I have the option to drain our AGP.

So, the question is this ... how much do 3 inch pucks usually WEIGH? I can't get an answer from the POOL STORE and they sell the tubs of these by the WEIGHT and I want to know approx. how many pucks are in a bucket of them. I was thinking I could better judge the costs if I could figure how many I'm buying at a time.

Then I wondered ... Are some pucks heavier than others? I would think a heavier puck might last longer than a lighter one and that maybe there is a difference in a cheaper brand (walmart) over a pool store brand if there is a difference and so there's not a savings on buying the cheaper brand if they don't last as long.

Any ideas?

9x17 AG Vinyl "SPLASHER" w/outside struts (7/04), thru the wall skimmer & return, C900 Hayward Cartridge Filter (3/08), 1 hp Hayward Power-Flo II pump (4/09), Wanda Whale auto cleaner (3/07), new Wanda shoes (6/09), VinylWorks A Frame Step Ladder Entry System w/Gate (5/06), 5-1gal gravel-filled jugs hung w/ zip ties under steps to stop steps from floating, 1-3" TAB FLOAT under stairs (empty), More noodles, floats, and toys than allowed in any 9x17 sized pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

St. Paul, MN

Re: Questiong about PUCKS

I think the 3" pucks usually weigh 7 or 8 oz.

You buy them by the pound, not by the number of pucks you are getting. So, it shouldn't matter if a certain brand of puck weighs more than another brand. Just compare the $/lb. of each brand.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    1HP Sta-Rite Pump, 30 sq. ft. Sta-Rite DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Polaris 280 w/ 3/4HP Booster Pump
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3
    Eastern Ohio

Re: Questiong about PUCKS

I think they all differ in weight...but many are around 7-8 ounces each.

In the swim 3" pucks
    3" Chlorine Tabs weigh 7 oz. each and are slow-dissolving

Leslie's 3" pucks...
    8 oz. individually-wrapped tablets