Will an undersized solar cover reel work?

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
Recently I got a great deal on a Odyssey solar cover reel. However, when I got it home I realized it was for a max pool of 24' (not the 27' it was avertised as). Can I get it to wok as is? It has three 8' lengths of piping (the 27' is suppose to have three 10' sections) and the lenghts are suppose to slide into each other at least 12". Thanks in advance.

I am a little confused..
Do you have a 27' solar cover that you are trying to fit on a 24' reel?
Or do you have a 24' reel AND cover that you are trying to use to cover a 27' pool?

Well, honestly I have never done this before..but these are my thoughts...
You could probably fold over the sides a little bit before rolling up the cover, BUT I would guess that your solar cover will wear out quickly where the folds are. They are not the most durable ...but then again, I cant imagine this being any worse than folding up the cover for storage. I am eager to hear if anyone else has any thoughts/ideas.

Thanks Blake. I only spent $30 for the reel so don't want to spend a ton more to modify it. I contacted Odyysey and they want $136 for an extension plus $25 for shipping so that is out of the question. The guy I purchased it from said I could return it to him for a refund but I'd rather keep it if I can make it work.

My solar cover doesn't track straight when I wind it up, so I end up with some folds in it. It does seem to wear the cover a little in those areas, but it doesn't ruin the cover. I would try to make the reel work since you got such a good deal on it.

pmsmith2032 said:
Thanks Blake. I only spent $30 for the reel so don't want to spend a ton more to modify it. I contacted Odyysey and they want $136 for an extension plus $25 for shipping so that is out of the question. The guy I purchased it from said I could return it to him for a refund but I'd rather keep it if I can make it work.
What size tubing does it have? Maybe it's the kind of thing you could find at home depot?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.