Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backfilling

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi All,
    Does one have to wait for the pool to be filled before you backfill? Also is 3/4" stone good for the material? Seems like some people wait and others dont. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

SW Wisconsin

Re: Backfilling

I'm not sure if there is any specific time frame...I waited one year to backfill around mine...then I put in drainage tile first, then crushed rock just to cover that tile and then topsoil the rest so I could re-seed my grass.

33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What kind of pool? A fiberglass one piece has to be backfilled as it is filled with water most generally. Vinyl lined depends on wall manufacturer to maintain warranty.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Williamsburg, VA

3/4" stone is an excellent backfill material; may pool decks are not designed to stay in position as the backfill material consolidates over time. Crushed, washed stone doesn't appreciably consolidate over time, so as long as it's installed all the way down to virgin soil, and has geotextile fabric where it meets the adjacent soil to prevent the soil from slowly migrating into the stone, you should be set.