Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Junk around my drains

1. Back To Top    #1

Junk around my drains

OK I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but I figure someone has dealt with it before. I don't remember this being so bad in the past, but this year I have alot of junk (leaves, bugs, who knows what else) in both of my pool drains. The pool is a '06 install, so these are the safety drains with all the little holes around the outside of the plastic cover, and stuff seems to be jammed up into most of the holes.
    I've run my robot over it, tried to brush the stuff, etc., but it won't budge, even with my pump off.
    Any ideas on how to get the stuff out? Or am I going to have to send one of my kids down there to manually extract? (Come to think of it, that could be fun to watch)
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Junk around my drains

You could try a manual vacuum if you have one. Or just the vacuum hose taped to the pool pole.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Duhhh I haven't used the manual vac in so long I had forgotten about it. Thanks!
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

4. Back To Top    #4

I had a little bit of debris stuck to mine this year too. The manual vac took a few extra passes, but got most of it. After shocking, any tiny bits that remained are now gone.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Once it's swimmable, you can always dive down with a small bottle brush and try cleaning it out. I didn't have much success, can't seem to hold my breath long enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!