Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Heat Pump GFCI Issues, please help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Heat Pump GFCI Issues, please help!

So, I have no idea why my original post vanished! (Note:It was waiting for moderator approval. New posters require approval of their first post.)Here is the deal. Have a Hayward Heat-pump for the pool heating, and decided to open the pool alittle early this year (Pittsburgh). Well, the GFCI breaker keeps being thrown. Not sure what the deal could be. Should I contact the electrician or a Hayward service technician? I could use some assistance if this could be something I could handle as well! Please help a newbie! BTW, this is a new house and pool for me, but the heater was fine last year! I winterized as instructed! Re-plumbed with schedule 40 as well this year. Thoughts?
    18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame with 2,650 gph sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Heat Pump GFCI Issues, please help!

Welcome to TFP!

Even a little moisture in the electrical parts of the heater or wiring can cause a GFCI to trip. The breakers themselves are also prone to false tripping due to failure.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hayward Heat Pump GFCI Issues, please help!

Okay, so it's actually not the GFCI that is tripping, it's the breaker! What could cause this? You think its an issue with the breaker itself? What should I do, call the electrician or the Hayward Service guy? Thoughts? I opened up the service panel, and everything looks dry, but there are alot of webs and debris. I am going to shop-vac that all out, but I am at a loss.
    18' x 48" Intex Ultra Frame with 2,650 gph sand filter