Holy #howdowedothis, Batman!

May 13, 2012
Ok so I have a 13500 gallon AGP. Chemistry is all within ranges. I am getting ready to get my LQ on line. After reading the forums, I see that 50 ppm Borates is desirable to eliminate the white stuff. But how in the world can that level of Borates be introduced without knocking my pH and TA totally off the charts? According to the Simple Pool android app, I am to add nearly 40 POUNDS of Borax, and nearly 2.5 GALLONS of Muriatic Acid!! This will totally murder my pH and TA. So then I counter by making adjustment to those and then my Borates will suffer? Help!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

It is actually very easy. As long as you add borax and muriatic acid in the correct proportions you PH will end up exactly where it started and TA will only go up a tiny amount. Or you can use boric acid, instead of borax and muriatic acid, and then PH will go down just a little and TA will go up just a little.

Thanks guys! So I assume then that for the initial conversion from a straight pool to a borate pool, that boric acid would be much cheaper than buying 40 POUNDS of Borax. Also, if I did go the borax/Muriatic Acid route, is it ok to put in the 2.5 gallons of acid and the 40 pounds of Borax all at once?

I've had my Liquidator for a long time with no white stuff build-up. Nobody really knows why it happens, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned about getting the borates in there in a hurry until you know you have problems.

I appreciate the input! But to answer my question, since in this case the Muriatic Acid is not being used to adjust the pH per se, but rather to counter the effect of the Borax, is it ok to add such a huge volume of acid all at once? I know if I simply had a high pH and wanted to lower it that the acid would have to be added slowly over a period of days in order to avoid a "burp" in my water chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.