Suggested Chlorine Levels

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
My CYA is around 45-50 so my suggested FC value is 6 with a minimum of 4. Has anybody seen a noticeable difference in the amount of chlorine used if you keep your chlorine above the suggested level? I'm wondering if I put my chlorine up around 10 if my pool would use MORE chlorine, or if it would just mean I have to add bleach less often. When I put my FC at 6 in the mornings, by the next morning when I check it again, it has come down slightly below 4 (usually 3-3.5).

Apparently I'm losing 2-3 ppm daily, but I don't know if I bump it up to 10 or so if I'll lose maybe 4 ppm or something.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Apparently I'm losing 2-3 ppm daily, but I don't know if I bump it up to 10 or so if I'll lose maybe 4 ppm or something.
That's it exactly. More or less, you lose a percentage of your available chlorine . if you maintained a level of 10ppm, you are likely to use 4-5ppm.

I'd try a couple of things. First I'd try targeting my FC at 7 or 8 ppm and then I'd raise the CYA just a little to about 55. I find that if I let the CYA get to less than 50 I lose more than if I keep 50 and 60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.