Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggested Chlorine Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggested Chlorine Levels

My CYA is around 45-50 so my suggested FC value is 6 with a minimum of 4. Has anybody seen a noticeable difference in the amount of chlorine used if you keep your chlorine above the suggested level? I'm wondering if I put my chlorine up around 10 if my pool would use MORE chlorine, or if it would just mean I have to add bleach less often. When I put my FC at 6 in the mornings, by the next morning when I check it again, it has come down slightly below 4 (usually 3-3.5).

Apparently I'm losing 2-3 ppm daily, but I don't know if I bump it up to 10 or so if I'll lose maybe 4 ppm or something.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Dr. Wellness G-14 Spa
    SIZE: 92" wide x 92" long x 36" deep SEATS: 5 JETS: 98 Total Jets LIGHTS: Surround LED Lighting COMPONENTS: Balboa Spa Systems PUMP: 3 6HP EnergySaver
    WEIGHT: 1025 lbs. GALLONS: 450 Gallon Capacity ELECTRICAL: 220V

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Suggested Chlorine Levels

Apparently I'm losing 2-3 ppm daily, but I don't know if I bump it up to 10 or so if I'll lose maybe 4 ppm or something.
    That's it exactly. More or less, you lose a percentage of your available chlorine . if you maintained a level of 10ppm, you are likely to use 4-5ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Suggested Chlorine Levels

I'd try a couple of things. First I'd try targeting my FC at 7 or 8 ppm and then I'd raise the CYA just a little to about 55. I find that if I let the CYA get to less than 50 I lose more than if I keep 50 and 60.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit