Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Testing

All this season I've been running with very low CYA levels. We started out around 15, but then added 4 pounds of stabilizer into the pool....thus bringing the levels up around 35. After about 2 weeks I tested again and I was right in the area. Today I added another 2 pounds into a sock and placed the sock into the skimmer to dissolve the stabilizer. After a few hours of the water flowing over it....and me squeezing it several times all the CYA was in the pool. I tested again and came up with a level of 55 which with the dull sky's today is right in range.

My question is this.....
    I know that CYA takes about a week to show up in the tests, yet I had a result show up with the numbers I'd expect right after I added the stabilizer. Is it that SOME CAN show up right away after adding?? I did the test about 5 times, each with a reading between 45 and 60 on the test tube?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: CYA Testing

Good morning,

That "week" is sort of an outer limit based on anecdotal evidence received on the forum. In my pool it tends to show up within 24 hours but many others have reported much longer periods.......so we adopted "up to a week" to cover all the possibilities.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave! Had me worried there for a second. I'll retest early next week to see the true reading again. Either way I'm sure it's above the pool stores reading of zero!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    Thanks Dave! Had me worried there for a second. I'll retest early next week to see the true reading again. Either way I'm sure it's above the pool stores reading of zero!
    And well below the other pool store's reading of 350.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd be more inclined to believe the 350 reading.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have never tried testing mine that soon after an addition, but will say at least in my pool it seems to show 50% or so after about 3 days, 80% at around 6 days, and 100% by 8 days.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    All this season I've been running with very low CYA levels. We started out around 15, but then added 4 pounds of stabilizer into the pool....thus bringing the levels up around 35. After about 2 weeks I tested again and I was right in the area. Today I added another 2 pounds into a sock and placed the sock iinto the skimmer to dissolve the stabilizer. After a few hours of the water flowing over it....and me squeezing it several times all the CYA was in the pool. I tested again and came up with a level of 55 which with the dull sky's today is right in range.

My question is this.....
    I know that CYA takes about a week to show up in the tests, yet I had a result show up with the numbers I'd expect right after I added the stabilizer. Is it that SOME CAN show up right away after adding?? I did the test about 5 times, each with a reading between 45 and 60 on the test tube?
    Its really more along the lines of saving you money on reagents cause you use alot to test cya.

18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac