Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken tube in cartridge filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken tube in cartridge filter

Hello,

I have a cartridge style filter. I was putting it back together as I got the pool ready for the year and I noticed a broken tube. It is the plastic piece that looks like a large straw and it goes from the bottom of the filter to the top with a mess cover on the top. My question is do I need this piece? Or can I fire up the filtration system?

Thanks for the help.

Jourdan
    17600 galon 27' round Mirage above ground. Eco-Kleer cartridge filter. Direct sunlight most of the day.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken tube in cartridge filter

That piece is an air relief tube and you do need it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Broken tube in cartridge filter

Quote Originally Posted by jourdanbennett
    Hello,

I have a cartridge style filter. I was putting it back together as I got the pool ready for the year and I noticed a broken tube. It is the plastic piece that looks like a large straw and it goes from the bottom of the filter to the top with a mess cover on the top. My question is do I need this piece? Or can I fire up the filtration system?

Thanks for the help.

Jourdan
    Are you sure the tube is broken -- or did it pop out of the manifold? I just received a new Hayward Swimclear cart filter and the mesh cover was sitting in the bottom of the box. So I opened up the filter housing and saw the tube (much smaller than yours since my filter has its manifold on top) sitting @bottom. I checked the owner's manual and just pushed the tube and mesh cover back together and into its place on the manifold.