Help with automation

Simbilis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2010
Now that I'm about to add some solar collectors, it's time to think about automation. A friend of ours is using manual control, and he's constantly watching the panel and pool temperatures and running out to twiddle the valves. However, the complexity of choosing a system is driving me to think of doing solar-only automation and doing the rest by hand as usual. I'd prefer to be able to have the kids push a button and get the pool setup they want, though.

I have all Pentair equipment, including a VS+SVRS pump, chlorinator, light, and filter. My pool has three regular returns plus dual stair returns, slide, and deck jets (total of 6 returns, each with it's own valve). To get the slide and deck jets working correctly, all 6 of the valves need to be tweaked. With the solar bypass, that's 7 valves total. Are there any automation systems that support that many valves, in addition to the pump, chlorinator, and light circuits?

I've tried reading the IntelliTouch documentation. It's... A bit dense. Or maybe that's me. I can see that it potentially supports up to 8 relays plus the pump, but I'm not sure what each relay can do - is it one feature (valve actuator, light, other) per relay, or can I control more than one feature with a relay? Can the pump and chlorinator be controlled together with a single relay?

Thanks,

Sim

Relays and valves are two separate things. Each model will have a specific number of each that it can control. Relays generally turn on/off things like lights and pumps, valve actuators turn valves. One thing to keep in mind is that valve actuators always move to one of two positions. You can set them up to switch between any two positions, but you only get two, nothing in the middle.

The IntelliTouch is certainly available in a version that can control all of that, though it will tend to get pricy. Their documentation leaves a lot to be desired. Once you wrap your mind around how they have things setup it gets a lot easier, but that can take a while.

Thanks. The relay vs. actuator module thing was the big (and in retrospect, obvious) thing I missed. So, any of the IntelliTouch personality modules would have enough relays, but valve actuator circuits are going to be interesting.

In principle, the i5S+3 personality module could support seven actuators (Intake + Return + Solar/A + AUX/B - AUX/E), if the Intake and Return actuators can be repurposed for general use. Is this possible? If not, then it's on to the expansion kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.