Please Help!!

Aug 4, 2011
I need help!! My chlorine levels aren't even measuring. Ph is about 7.2 and total alkalinity it 200. My water has been cloudy since i shocked it 10 days ago. it seemed to be getting better slowly. my chlorinator is set on 3. I thought my chlorine levels were doing pretty good but i hadn't checked in two days now its not even measuring. i have the tf-100 kit. when i put the R-870 in the test water it doesn't turn pink at all. Should i shock again. I used calcium hypochlorie shock. i'm leaving tomorrow for two days but i have some family that can help if needed.

Try using the OTO chlorine test (by the pH test) ... that will confirm if there is an chlorine in the water.

Since you have a good kit ... post a FULL set of results. Specifically, what is your CYA??? As that is a vital piece of information to determine shock levels ... could be VERY high if you are using a chlorinator which adds CYA.

Also, it appears you are NOT following the Shocking Your Pool process if you only threw something in the pool once 10 days ago.

Cal-hypo adds CH to your pool. You would be way better served using liquid chlorine through the shock PROCESS.

thanks so much for the quick responses. Here are my test from 2 days ago:

CYA = 60, FC = 3.5, CC = 0.5, TC = 4.0, Total Alk - 200, and ph = 7.2 - 7.4

today they are:

CYA = 60, FC = ?, CC = ?, TC = ?, Total Alk - 200, and ph = 7.2 - 7.4.

how do i measure cc if the water never turns pink?

water is not clear at all but from what i understand it takes awhile to clear up with the shock i used. i will be buying bleach to keep on hand for now on!!

i just measured my fc and it is still at 19 so i'm going to perform the oclt tonight. i'll let you know what i find out.

Thanks!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should stop using that cal hypo (what you are calling "shock") altogether. It is making your water cloudy. Add enough bleach in to your pool to get back to 19ppm and your water will clear up.

You should read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then, read "How to Shock Your Pool".

ok. i went and got some bleach and added the suggested amount from the pool calculator. i have read the how to shock your pool but i'm uncertain how long i should try to leave the fc at 19?? should i leave it there until it clears up? i'm afraid part of the reason i have the foggy water is because of the shock i was using.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.