Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Help!!

I need help!! My chlorine levels aren't even measuring. Ph is about 7.2 and total alkalinity it 200. My water has been cloudy since i shocked it 10 days ago. it seemed to be getting better slowly. my chlorinator is set on 3. I thought my chlorine levels were doing pretty good but i hadn't checked in two days now its not even measuring. i have the tf-100 kit. when i put the R-870 in the test water it doesn't turn pink at all. Should i shock again. I used calcium hypochlorie shock. i'm leaving tomorrow for two days but i have some family that can help if needed.
    Jeremiah Hough

22,000 gallon, vinyl liner, chlorine, with auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please Help!!

Try using the OTO chlorine test (by the pH test) ... that will confirm if there is an chlorine in the water.

Since you have a good kit ... post a FULL set of results. Specifically, what is your CYA??? As that is a vital piece of information to determine shock levels ... could be VERY high if you are using a chlorinator which adds CYA.

Also, it appears you are NOT following the Shocking Your Pool process if you only threw something in the pool once 10 days ago.

Cal-hypo adds CH to your pool. You would be way better served using liquid chlorine through the shock PROCESS.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It sounds like you didn't kill all the algae and it's regrouping and starting a new offensive. You need to kill it off faster than it can reproduce and keep at it until it's all gone. You probably left some and it's back. Time to go back to step one. Start by reading pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

If you just initially "nuked" it with some shock and expected the chlorinator to maintain it..........that's the problem.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks so much for the quick responses. Here are my test from 2 days ago:

CYA = 60, FC = 3.5, CC = 0.5, TC = 4.0, Total Alk - 200, and ph = 7.2 - 7.4

today they are:

CYA = 60, FC = ?, CC = ?, TC = ?, Total Alk - 200, and ph = 7.2 - 7.4.

how do i measure cc if the water never turns pink?
    Jeremiah Hough

6. Back To Top    #6

ok. i didn't have any bleach so i put 5lbs of shock in and waited 20 minutes. my fc is 19 anc cc is .5.
    Jeremiah Hough

7. Back To Top    #7

my cya is 50 so fc of 19 should be pretty good right? since my cc is only .5 do i need to keeps this level of shock?
    Jeremiah Hough

8. Back To Top    #8

Is your water clear? Have you passed the OCLT?

Have you read the Shocking Your Pool article?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

9. Back To Top    #9

water is not clear at all but from what i understand it takes awhile to clear up with the shock i used. i will be buying bleach to keep on hand for now on!!

i just measured my fc and it is still at 19 so i'm going to perform the oclt tonight. i'll let you know what i find out.

Thanks!!!
    Jeremiah Hough

10. Back To Top    #10

sorry. one more question. should i leave my pool cover open tonight?
    Jeremiah Hough

11. Back To Top    #11

i did the oclt and my fc went from 19 to 17. should i add more shock?
    Jeremiah Hough

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

You should stop using that cal hypo (what you are calling "shock") altogether. It is making your water cloudy. Add enough bleach in to your pool to get back to 19ppm and your water will clear up.

You should read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Then, read "How to Shock Your Pool".
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

ok. i went and got some bleach and added the suggested amount from the pool calculator. i have read the how to shock your pool but i'm uncertain how long i should try to leave the fc at 19?? should i leave it there until it clears up? i'm afraid part of the reason i have the foggy water is because of the shock i was using.
    Jeremiah Hough

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, during the shock process you want to try to maintain shock level FC.

You will be done shocking when you meet three criteria. See red lines in my sig:
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~