Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is CYA affected by water temp?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jackson, TN

Is CYA affected by water temp?

Would a change in water temp cause a change in the CYA test readings?

I checked my CYA last week when the weather and water temp was warmer - in the 80-85 degree range and it was reading 70ppm. We had some cooler weather with rain come through so I checked everything again and the CYA yesterday and it is now showing 50ppm with the water temp dropped back to the lower 70's. I suppose it's possible my initial reading could have been off since I was just learning to use this new test kit but I want to be sure the temp doesn't have anything to do with it before I add any CYA to the pool because otherwise everything is perfect.
    In-ground, vinyl pool, 26,000 gals
    Hayward Sand Filter, Aquarite SWG, Hayward Ecostar Pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Is CYA affected by water temp?

Generally speaking........that little of a temp difference and especially not being over the winter period would not account for a CYA loss. Most likely testing.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

The brightness of the light when you were doing the test can have a large effect.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Do pool or spa water samples have to be at "room temperature" before testing begins?
    With one exception, no. Our lab has run the pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, free chlorine, and cyanuric acid tests on known standard solutions at approximately 104F, 75F, 60F, and 40F. Only at 40F did the CYA standard solution test higher than its actual value (after accounting for test variability). All other tests were unaffected by temperature differences. ... ntentID=86