Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Good Material Choices? Advice Needed

1. Back To Top    #1
    Escondido, CA (near San Diego)

Good Material Choices? Advice Needed

My pool construction is waiting on me now. I am at the stage where my wife and I must choose the coping, tile and -- in this case -- raised bond beam finishes.

We have chosen a bull-nosed tumbled stone coping called Durango Stone ('Dorado' color), a water-line tile, and a stacked-stone for the raised bond-beam.

My questions are:

- Does anybody have any experience with the Durango-Stone coping? Will it hold up? Does it scratch, flake, stain, etc? It has some pits due to the tumbling (actually for the tumbled product they just don't fill the pits). We likes the honed untumbled, but it would have been slippery like ice when wet -- bad with kids. The larger pits will be filled with mortar when installed to keep the water out. (We are not in a freeze-thaw area -- most of the time).

- For the raised bond beam, we love the look of the stacked stone, but am concerned with deposits forming on it. The calcium in the water here is naturally 120 and it's about to go up a bunch (water from another source). How hard is this to maintain? I am most concerned with the spill-over, but also the rest. I noticed a pool with similar stone on the TFP slide-show (see below). If this is your pool -- please let me know, I'd love to talk with you about how it works for you (and congratulate you for such a beautiful pool!).

Thank you for the advice!

Coping selected:

Raised wall:

We love the look of this pool:
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

2. Back To Top    #2

Burleson, Texas

Re: Good Material Choices? Advice Needed

I absolutely love the top and second colors, but I lean toward earthy tones usually. What is your decking material and color going to be?

3. Back To Top    #3

SoCal, Ca

Re: Good Material Choices? Advice Needed

what decking did you choose? I love the look of your pool in your profile picture.