Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Kreepy Krauly Kruiser or Baracuda G3

1. Back To Top    #1

New Kreepy Krauly Kruiser or Baracuda G3

Help me decide. I have a rectangular 18 X 40 Vinyl pool, 90 degree sides in shallow and slanted sides in deep end. Reviews of both on Amazon are good. What are pros/cons of each. Both in price range

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... K60430.htm

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... W03000.htm
    26,500 Gal, Vinyl, Sand Filter, Haywood SWG, Automatic Cover, OHIO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Kreepy Krauly Kruiser or Baracuda G3

In my experience there is not a lot of functional difference between the cheap or the expensive Kreepy Krauly clones, I owned several suction side cleaners over the years starting with the original Kreepy Krauly, before switching to a robot cleaner last year. Here are my observations:

Any design can get stuck in a given pool, it is just a matter of luck when it comes to step/ladder placement, etc. I have owned $69 China clones that would not hang up and $300 name brand ones that did hang up.

The more expensive ones tend to be built better, the $69 clone I mentioned above started falling apart within a couple of months, but I was able to patch it back together for a year or so (first thing to break was the snap together floppy weight, a screw and a nut put it back together, etc)

Some have silent flappers, others go clack clack clack like the orignal Kreepy Krauly, this is only a concern if your around the pool while it is running, or if the pool is right outside a bedroom window, etc. Also the more expensive ones tend to have better accessories like adjustable flow bypass, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

The G3 is interesting because it looks to have fewer moving parts than other devices, even Zodiac's own MX8 which is very popular. I'm in the market for a cleaner and am wondering which to get. My PB suggested the G2 or G3, I think because of the lack of parts to break. I wonder what the compromise is? Slower or less effective cleaning?
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by MassNerd
    The G3 is interesting because it looks to have fewer moving parts than other devices, even Zodiac's own MX8 which is very popular. I'm in the market for a cleaner and am wondering which to get. My PB suggested the G2 or G3, I think because of the lack of parts to break. I wonder what the compromise is? Slower or less effective cleaning?
    Some folks swear by the MX8, but in general, the G3 is better reviewed, and you're right about parts--for the most part, it's a replacement diaphragm from time to time. The MX8 is a little better at larger debris (leaves, etc.), which can get stuck in the G3 diaphragm, and I have one friend who disliked the in-pool noise the G3 made.

In general, though, G3 is better reviewed, cheaper (even after the mx8 rebate), and has fewer parts to worry about. If I had narrowed it down to those two, I'd go G3 in a heartbeat.
    Roy Steves - CMO, PoolSupplyWorld.com