Pool Store testing terms?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
After last week's iron/rust getting dumped into the pool incident that was part of my remodeling / roof replacement project I took a sample of the pool water into a local pool store today for their "free" testing to get the iron levels (for what that is worth) since I don't have a test for metals since they are not usually an issue.

Of course their numbers and advice came back questionable, did show 0 for iron and copper though

Which brings me down to the question, one of their sections is listed as " Alkalinity w/ stabilizer correction their test showed 107ppm, my TF-100 TA test shows 70 ppm, does anyone know what this "correction" is? I am sure it is wrong whatever it is as their CYA reading was 10 ppm, mine was 20 ppm when I last tested it on Friday and added enough CYA to boost it to 30 ppm.

Also does anyone else know any other "corrected" readings that pool store tests use? Someone in another thread mentioned something about corrected pH the other day?

Ike

p.s. they also show hardness at 80 ppm and suggest adding 60 pounds of "water hardness", first off I have a vinyl pool, second off my hardness test last weekend showed a calcium hardness of 160 ppm, you have to love pool stores, they also wanted me to add enough CYA to boost the level by 35ppm, imagine that recipe for disaster

All good reasons why I do my own tests and never believe anything from a pool store. While I still go there for some equipment related things and the occasional jug of MA, nothing to do with water chemistry or chemicals is ever discussed with anyone there.

Me too, but I did not think it was worth it to invest in an Iron test kit for a single check, I will plan on taking a sample to a different local pool company to double check the iron results though.

Ike

ABCs of Pool Store Terminology
FC - Screw Customer - Customer is a cash cow for corporate profit.
pH - Push Hard - Pool chemicals are bought in a pool store, food comes from the supermarket.
TA - Total Bum - Pat response whenever customer mentions the word "bleach".
CH - Create Habits - Backwash weekly, shock weekly, eliminate phosphates, algaecide for "chlorine lock"
CYA - See You After... - Our advice fails miserably.

Beez said:
ABCs of Pool Store Terminology
FC - Screw Customer - Customer is a cash cow for corporate profit.
pH - Push Hard - Pool chemicals are bought in a pool store, food comes from the supermarket.
TA - Total **** - Pat response whenever customer mentions the word "bleach".
CH - Create Habits - Backwash weekly, shock weekly, eliminate phosphates, algaecide for "chlorine lock"
CYA - See You After... - Our advice fails miserably.

If you ever make a bumper sticker out of the above, I'd like to buy one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.