Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Solar cover/blanket and filter question

Solar cover/blanket and filter question

Can you run the filter while the solar cover is on? Also do you know if you can put the safety cover on the pool during the summer, like while you are on vacation so no one gets into the pool?
    24,000 20x42 double roman end in ground pool being built. Start date june13, 2012.
    Finished July 4th, 2012, sports pool, vinyl,SWG, DE filter, fountains. Heat pump,
    First Pool Ever!

Re: Solar cover/blanket and filter question

Typically you can run the filter with a solar cover on. Only exception for concern I can think of is if you have in-floor cleaning jets that shoot water up the wall which then ends up on top of the blanket.

No reason you can not put the safety cover on whenever you like ... other than the hassle.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

Can I leave the safety cover on for like a week in the summer, and if I do will my pool be icky when I get back?
    24,000 20x42 double roman end in ground pool being built. Start date june13, 2012.
    Finished July 4th, 2012, sports pool, vinyl,SWG, DE filter, fountains. Heat pump,
    First Pool Ever!

Sure you can leave it on. The condition of your pool after the fact depends on many factors, but covering it should actually help maintain FC levels as the sun will not consume it and will prevent debris from entering the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

Thanks!
    First Pool Ever!