Pea Cobble base

May 16, 2012
Hi all,

Just bought my first AG yesterday and it's a Intex 18' Ultra Frame. The instuctions say to put down the provided ground cover on level ground. The area I want to put this is covered in smooth pea cobble that is several inches deep. If I place a concrete paver under each vertical support and level the pea cobble flush with the pavers, is this an acceptable base? I plan to only keep this up from June to Sept each year then store for the other months.

Much thanks for your advice.

Greg

Welcome to TFP!

You will need something between the pea cobble and the bottom of the pool, either sand or fairly thick foam, so the bottom of the pool is sitting on a flat surface. Other than that, it should be alright.

Since I want the Pea Cobble to remain during the off-season, I don't want to layer sand on top. Foam sheathing appears to be expensive. If I was just going to use the ground cover provided with the pool, would you recommend the pea cobble and pavers, or stripping down to bare dirt and going without the pavers?

My goal in keeping the pea cobble was that it would be much easier to create a level base. If I strip down to dirt, then the serious elbow grease will be necessary. :cry:

Thanks.

Never mind. I guessed the right answer and was feeling ambitious so after work I raked and shoveled about 4 yards of pea cobble out of a 20 x 20 area for the pool. Now to the hard part of leveling the dirt :hammer:

OK so here is how things unfolded: I started excavating the ground by hand. I got about 5 wheel barrows full of dirt moved and dumped to the other side of my property and realized that the height difference between the lowest and highest corners was 11" :shock:

OK so plan B - I know this is discouraged but I leveled by removing high and adding low. Then rented a sod roller and compacted as best I could with this.

We set pavers at each leg location on this level somewhat-compacted base. Then moved all the pea cobble back into the area and screeded (sp?) it all level with the pavers using a 20' 2x4.

Put down the tarp provided, then covered the entire area in 1/4" foam insulation sheathing.

Well the pool is full and though there is a visibly slightly high/low leg here and there, the waterline is within an inch or so around the entire liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.