Top rail mini step deck overhang ideas

swest

Aug 11, 2011
I have an 18 foot agp and the kids are always on the top rail. My current deck goes under the railing. I was thinking of building a 5 foot small step that would have decking overhang the top rail by 6 inchs. Now the box would be 6 inchs on the deck and have 6 inchs overhang, anybody see any issues or anybody done this before?

Attachments

• deck.png
    deck.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 343
You'll be fine. 1x6 allowable overhang is 6", so you're good there.

Obviously you'll have a twisting moment as a child is out at the end of the overhang, wanting to tip the box over. It will, as you've said, need to be well anchored. Your best bet would be to anchor it into deck joists, NOT the decking it's sitting on. You'd also be well served to construct the "box" from 2x lumber, again for a solid anchor point. Some L brackets should do the job nicely...one every 18 or 24" would be my recommendation.

For what it's worth, my own deck is done in a similar fashion...elevated above the railing, and then overhanging the railing just as you describe. The 1x6 decking overhangs by 6", and I've jumped from it many times, with no issues, and I'm a BIG dude. :lol:

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead a bought lag bolt to bolt the box to the existing deck and then use some screws. You wouldnt have any pictures of what you did. Might help me or anyone else doing the same. Cheers

I'll be happy to take some tomorrow when it's light (I've been out flying this afternoon, sorry *heh*) though i don't think they'll be terribly useful in this case. I actually extended new deck construction at a higher level, rather than building a step after the fact.

I'll post pics though, just in case. :)

Pictures below :)

Basically, we had an existing deck in place. It stopped short of the edge of the new pool, by some 2-4', depending on where on the "round" pool you measured from.

The railing wound up being about 2-3" higher than the existing deck. The 2 doors leading on to the existing deck would not have allowed the entire deck to be raised that amount. Finally, I wanted the deck slightly above the pool railing, to avoid any chance of tripping on that railing, knocking it loose, etc.

The answer wound up being to build the extension about 6" higher than the existing deck.

I started by using the existing deck as an anchor point, and attaching what amounted to a "riser" to the end of it:

40276933056-vi.jpg

From there, we came out toward the pool with the joists as you can see, and tied them into posts set just a few inches off the pool wall, right at the "corners" of the railing.

242940896-vi.jpg

2x8 beams were put in at 24" out from the old deck, as you can see in the picture above, then 2x10 fascia boards were attached running parallel to the pool rail. You can see them in the picture above, and the facing side of them here.

06276947888-vi.jpg

Then, as you can see, the deck planks were cut to overhang by 6", which brought them out part way over the railing, so kids can just jump right off, into the pool.

Here's a sort of "overall" look, to give you a feel for the way things are laid out. For reference, the "underneath" shots above were shot from where you see the ladder standing. The dachshund at the left corner of the deck was existing construction.

56277101488-vi.jpg

=============

So, not the same construction as what you're after, but it does demonstrate the idea of an overhang, and that it's doable out to the dimensions you're talking about. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.