WATER IS GREEN, GREEN, GREEN!!! Local pool store no help!

May 16, 2012
NE OK
This is my first time opening our pool after the winter and a mild/warm winter at that in NE OK. The water was very green and gross when I got started about six weeks ago. I went to our local pool store with a water sample and asked them to tell me what to do to open it and clear it up.

I shock, shock, shocked it and after discovering an air leak, lots of vacuuming and vacuuming to waste, adding drop out, the water finally started to clear up and the kids were even swimming in it. I also added other things they told me, the list is so long I can't remember all of it. The water was clearing, I could see the bottom of the pool, I thought we were well on our way and I was shocking the pool weekly and keeping the floater filled with chlorine tabs.

I have had my water tested several times a week a the pool store the past 6 weeks. Two and a half weeks ago I told them it wasn't looking good again. Their response, shock it and keep chlorine in the floater. Two weeks in a row my test strips showed 0 free chlorine. Their response is always that my levels looked good, just shock. As of Monday (2 days ago) this is where I am at: Took in a water sample, told them my water is green and getting worse fast. I am loading the pool with chlorine tabs and still says 0 free chlorine. Their results also say 0 chlorine. I am still told all levels look good besides FC is (O) so just shock. This is very frustrating to me. I told them it's getting green and it's not holding chlorine. All I get is the same answer for 2 weeks.

This is where I am as of NOW. Monday took in another water sample, here were the results: FC 0, CC .2ppm, PH 7.6, TA 100ppm, CH 160, CA 35ppm. Her response again, just shock. Seriously! I shocked 3 days previous and the test results show no chlorine! I called a friend (used to be a pool store owner, highly respected and knowledgeable, oh and she was the one who helped me locate my air leak, not the local pool store).

This is what she told me to do: Get my CA up to 50. To do so, add 3# of stabilizer in the skimmer basket. Once dissolved, add 8# of shock, after an hour add algae terminator accordingly (I added 40 oz. which wasn't quite the 16 oz./10,000 pounds recommended for visible algae). After 24 hours brush sides and bottom of pool. I did all this late Monday night and now today, Wednesday forenoon I have the greenest, bug filled water that I think would make SHREK happy. I don't have current readings but plan to get some from the pool store this afternoon. I think I have spent close to $400.00 already so I don't feel so bad asking for test results. I expected the water to get cloudy blue when I shocked it again.

I am completely frustrated and to the point of almost giving up. I now fear my CA level may be too high but know I can't get an accurate reading on that until a week after adding it. Can someone please tell me what to do. My friend told me give it 2 days til I see results.........why aren't the bugs at least dead?

Re: WATER IS GREEN, GREEN, GREEN!!! Local pool store no help

Hello and welcome to TFP!
Unfortunately, you learned the hard way..about trusting a pool store's test results and recommendations. They will always try to sell you the latest and greatest solution.

As John said above, a great place to start is Pool School. Also, investing in your own test kit can save you lots of money/time/headache in the future.

For the shocking process, all you need is bleach. No chlorine tabs, no algae terminator, and no other 'fluff' from the pool store. To shock correctly, it is important to be able to measure FC accurately. For that reason, most people here at TFP recommend the TF-100 (by TFTestkits) or Taylor K-2006 test kit.

I would also suggest starting in Pool School but read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" fisrt and understand the function of the things you will need to test for.

As others have said, take charge of your own pool by doing your own testing (the test strips are not helping you) and relying on your own results. We'll all help you interpret the results and what to do about them.

Thanks for the quick responses! OK...I have gone over much of the information and find it very overwhelming. Given the fact that I do not have a good test kit at my fingertips, what do I do right now (I plan to order one, there is a walmart nearby but their test kits according to this site are not preferred)? My water is green and I will be gone over the weekend. Do I take a water sample to the pool store and add bleach according to the CYA results (which could be incorrect because of just having added stabilizer 2 days ago). My PH is 7.6 and according to what I have read that should be lowered some before I start? Am I reading right? I just add bleach? Plain old bleach like I do laundry with? Can you recommend what I should do today given the above information?

Not much can done without good test results. Dumping in bleach now may be wasted. The water kit at Walmart could tell you what your CYA level is but to shock the pool you would need the FAS-DPD chlorine test (goes well above 5 ppm).

Just trying to help a little until proper advice arrives. You really need the TF-100 kit.

I just ordered the TF-100 test kit. I haven't had success going on the advice of the pool store but could their test result give me what I need to get started? I hate to see it so green and seemingly getting greener. Should I just wait until I get the test kit?

If you are in a hurry, the Taylor kit would get you started. The most critical would be the FAS-DPD for chlorine and Cyanuric Acid (CYA). I believe the pH, TA and CH are pretty standard drop tests. If your CYA is too high, the chlorine just disappears and a partial water replacement may be necessary.

I understand your need to attack this asap.

I would wait on the test kit to get there. In order to do a good job you need good reliable test results and your own kit is the way to get them.

You really need the test kit, but in the interim you can try to keep things at bay by adding a couple large jugs of bleach/liquid chlorine each evening after the sun is off the pool. btw, your pH of 7.6 is just fine for now.

We can also try to calculate the amount of CYA in the pool: (assuming) You had about 35PPM & added 3 #'s to get to about 50PPM. Then you added 8#'s of 'shock'. What are the ingredients in the shock?

You need to stock up on bleach/liquid chlorine. It might be easier/less expensive to see if a local pool store has liquid chlorine (stronger % chlorine) or check around w/Wallyworld, Costco, etc. for plain, unscented 6% bleach.

Have you found the PoolCalculator.com yet?

Congrats on ordering a great test kit. You will soon be in control of your pool.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Seeing as you're pretty close to me, Sam's will be your best bet on bleach. They have 182oz 3 pack bottles for ~$9.00.

My TF100 only took 3 days to get to me so yours should be as well.

What part of NE OK are you in? If you're close I could probably give you a hand if needed (My wife keeps telling me to start my own pool service since I spend so much time helping other people learn how to take control of their pools :-D ). I've actually thought of setting up regular classes to teach people the BBB methodology..... but that's for another day. :blah:

Let me know if I can help.

Wow! I am so impressed with all the quick responses. I just came back from the pool store and had them re-test my water. This is what they say according to their test results using a Taylor WiseLAB (I am baffled with the results):
I listed the results from 2 days ago in parenthesis before adding the 3# Cyanuric acid until it dissolved, then 8# of shock (shock ingredients are:Calcium Hypochlorite 68%, other ing. 32%, (minimum 65% available chlorine), then approx. 40 oz. of Algae terminator (which has copper 3.3%, other ing. 96.7%).

Current results
FC 4.4 ppm (FC was 0 ppm)
Combined Chlorine 0.8 ppm (0.2ppm)
pH 8 (7.6)
TA 110 ppm (100ppm)
Calcium Hardness 190 ppm (160 ppm)
Cyanuric Acid 30 ppm (35 ppm)

Ok, keep in mind the results in parenthesis were Monday (2 days ago). I am baffled. How can my Cyanuric Acid go down 5 ppm when I put enough in to raise it 15 ppm? His advice to me was add 10# of shock.

Have you had any rain as of late? Either way...quit waiting your time at the store. Mine today said that I had zero CYA in the pool. My test showed 40. They were close. :)

Read pool school, buy bleach, wait for kit, and get ready to fight the pool this weekend.

Because the CYA test is so hard to interpret, 35 and 30 are pretty much the same thing. We also know that stabilizer can take a week or even longer to register on the test. So, at this point you will want to keep a good record of what has been tested and rely on the calculated CYA level, just trust that maybe a week later all that you added will show on the test.

My test kit has not arrived yet and it looks like it will be a few more days. Leslies pool store was highly recommended to me by numerous people so I thought I would give it a try. My water was so green I couldn't stand it. This is where I am at and I know test strips aren't totally reliable but it's all I got. Instructions from leslies pool store. 1. Floc 2. Vacuum to waste (all green had dropped to bottomed, we vacuumed at least 4 times and had to refill pool after each). 3. At algaecide (this one had no copper and they do not recommend using anything with copper). Check ph and make sure it's not too high. According to my test strip I would say it was a 7.0. Step 4. Add 4 bags of shock. Keep testing every few hours and add shock. Problem is, I had to leave for the weekend so I had my capable teenage daughter test it, again, I know it's test strips and not ideal, we are working on that. She stated the ph was way low and I freaked a little. Given I am not there, I called my aunt who has had a pool for 20 years and only needed to replace the liner once, for advice in raising my ph. She said, add baking soda to raise ph. It didn't sound quite right to me, I even called back to double check I heard right. She said yep, baking soda. My mother in law drove my daughter to the store and put in about 10 pounds of baking soda. When I got back to my hotel room last night and was able to get wifi and get on this site, I very soon realized that was incorrect. You all know now that my ph is low and my ta way too high. Since I am shocking and the fc dropped considerably I had my daughter add 2 bags of shock. The chlorine is high this morning which I think is good cause I don't want that algae coming back. Have I totally messed things up? I will be home later this evening. I am a newbie but working on gaining knowledge and control of my pool.

Should have been patient and waited for your kit. Sounds like you spent a lot of money on things we would not recommend and were effectively adding chemicals blindly.

What was the powder ( shock) you added? It certainly either added CYA or CH to your pool. Do you know your cya level as that is critical to knowing how to shock your pool to the correct FC level.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

The powder shock I added was from Leslie's Pool store, Power Powder Plus (Calcium Hypochlorite 73%). My CYA level according to them was 30. Sure hoping my test kit arrives today....then my husband will take over because I am leaving for a short trip the rest of the week. I did stock up on a lot of Liquid Chlorine from Wal-Mart.

Here's hoping your kit arrives today.
If it does, get some numbers posted up here and we will help lead you to a beautiful clear pool.
Everything may seem overwhelming at first, and for awhile, but once you start testing your own water you start to understand it more and it becomes easier.

My kit has still not arrived. It now appears that FedEx has lost my package. I can see the bottom of my pool but the water is cloudy and not clear. What do I do to try to hold off longer? Should we just dump liquid chlorine in the pool and if so, how much per day? I have little hope in receiving the kit anymore this week....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.