First test results, water looks perfect

Ted Y

May 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I got my TFTest kit last night. Today was my first ever pool test. I thought the directions were easy to understand and everything seemed to go well.

For those who didn't see my intro thread, I fired my pool guy after constant black and green algae problems. He was constantly using pucks and bags of dichlor. I did a drain and refill two weeks ago before I found this site.

From this morning:
pH 7.8
FC 3.5
CC 0.5
TA 130
CH 260 (turned lavender) tap water was 120 as a comparison
CYA 20

I have been using bleach and test strips before today to check for chlorine.

First thing I see is I need to raise CYA to at least 50. I have a SWG that has not been used since we moved in 1.5 years ago. Last pool guy said it wasn't maintaining FC high enough so he turned it off. Who knows, I need to take the cell off and clean it.

Second thing is, FC and CC look reasonable, water is crystal clear.

TA and pH are a bit high. I will use some muriatic acid and aeration on that.

My CH test turned lavender and not blue at 260. Is that a fading endpoint or ok?

Anything I missed? Thanks!

2012-05-16_07-33-38_667.jpg

Your water looks great. Your test results and your proposed actions are spot on, too.

With virtually all of the drops-based tests, the test is completed once you get the color change.....regardless of what color it changes to or from.

Ted,

Hey fellow valley of the sun resident! Your pics look very similar to my pool. I had mine drained also and now it is re-filled. My test results were pretty good too and I've been reviewing pool school and using the pool calculator to see what I need to do first. My CYA was way out of sight with the old water and now it is too low so will address that first. The water was clear until I turned on the pumps. It went to a milky blue but now seems to be clearing up. Almost afraid to turn on the water feature, who knows what will come out! Glad to see we are on the right track!

Happy swimming! The weather is certainly cooperating.

Chris

12K gal
cartridge
IG/pebble tec

Thanks everyone.

I'm pretty proud of myself. Two weeks ago I didn't know much and what I thought I knew was wrong.

Today I am accurately testing and adjusting my water chemistry. The pH is down to 7.2. I'm aerating and added liquid conditioner. I will check my CYA Saturday.

I noted that my pump was now operating at 18 psi. I've seen it as low as 12, so I backwashed for the first time. There was a lot of dirty water that came out. I cycled it back and forth a few times and each time a little more came out. Then I noticed my backwash handle was leaking. I took the plunger out and found that two gaskets were torn. A quick trip to the pool store, $10 and 30 minutes later, no more leak. I even had to disassemble the pin to get to the little gasket on the shaft. Done and I feel great.

Next step is to inspect the SWG cell.

Isaac-1 said:
One question, is that a turtle in the lower left part of the photo?
That is a rock. It's there to compensate for a design flaw. You can see where the automatic cleaner (Barracuda) plugs in to the wall to the right of the wading platform. Without the rock to stop the hose from floating on top of the wading platform, the Barracuda will get caught on the left corner of the steps next to the wall. The rock keeps the hose far enough away so the Barracuda will go along the step and back out to the main bottom.

We move the rock to swim and return it when we're done. Otherwise the bottom won't get vacuumed properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just tested my water again.

Water looks great.

FC 3.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.8 again. Went through two gallons this week of 15% MA already this week. I was aerating this week, pump is on 5 hours per day.
TA actually went up from 130 to 150 now.
CYA up to 30 now. I plan to slowly take it to 40-50.

Water is only three weeks old. Any ideas about pH and TA?

Hey Ted,

I am not an expert by any means, but from reading on this website it sounds like the pH will drift up over time if you use the waterfall, which looks like you have one from your photos.

I also tested my pH today and it was high, 8.0. I added some MA and it came down quickly to 7.6. I also have a water feature and have been using it more than usual.

Hope this helps in your quest for a sparkling pool! :cool:

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.