test kit- someones playing a joke, or I'm dumb....

Feb 27, 2011
My chemistry has been all over the place, and after repeated trips to Leslie's for testing I bought their Complete poolcare DPD test kit. The issue is the instructions and the equipment do not match. I.E.:
Chlorine: It says to fill tube to 9 ml mark, then add 5 drops of R-0001 & R-0002, cap, invert to mix. problem is there is no 9 ml mark on any tube. the best thing to use would be the container with the color gradient printed on it, but this holds 7 mls. the larger round tubes(part 9198) have marks at 5 and 10. so I used the 10, and estimated 9, mixed then poured into the color matching one. BTW there are no caps for the big one either.

PH- says to fill to 44ml mark then use 5 drops of R-0004. again on the circular tubes they have 5,10,11.5,14.6,20.5 and 25 ml marks. the entire tube seems to be 50 mls.
alkalinity- yea, it does have a 25 ml mark.
Calcium hardness- again, ok
Cyanuric acid- it says and has a 7 ml bottle 9part 9191) , but I'm supposed to pour into small comparator tube which is not present.

is someone playing a joke on me, am I just stupid, or it the kit wrong.

GoofyYno said:
My chemistry has been all over the place, and after repeated trips to Leslie's for testing I bought their Complete poolcare DPD test kit. The issue is the instructions and the equipment do not match. I.E.:
Chlorine: It says to fill tube to 9 ml mark, then add 5 drops of R-0001 & R-0002, cap, invert to mix. problem is there is no 9 ml mark on any tube. the best thing to use would be the container with the color gradient printed on it, but this holds 7 mls. the larger round tubes(part 9198) have marks at 5 and 10. so I used the 10, and estimated 9, mixed then poured into the color matching one. BTW there are no caps for the big one either.

PH- says to fill to 44ml mark then use 5 drops of R-0004. again on the circular tubes they have 5,10,11.5,14.6,20.5 and 25 ml marks. the entire tube seems to be 50 mls.

alkalinity- yea, it does have a 25 ml mark.
Calcium hardness- again, ok
Cyanuric acid- it says and has a 7 ml bottle 9part 9191) , but I'm supposed to pour into small comparator tube which is not present.

is someone playing a joke on me, am I just stupid, or it the kit wrong.

What you should have is this http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... artID=2022 the markings are on the sides, clear and difficult to see. This is used with the DPD and pH test.

For the Cyanuric Acid (CYA or C.A.) test:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... artID=2069 and http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... artID=2021

You might search taylor's site, they have videos of the tests and instructions with pictures, which seems to help.

My experience with your vendor has been, shall we say "awful". I suggest you buy from http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html and get what is needed to do a high chlorine test, the FAS test and get a speed stir (which makes life easier). Your current test kit is Taylor reagents, as is TF test kits. If you do a google search at the bottom left, you will find various instructions and logs that also might be of use or help.

thanks,
I returned the kit today. they said I should have different things in it. Not I need to buy one of the ones TFtestkits.

i also think my salt cell in not working at all. I'm so bummed. pool is fairly new. My Chorine was zero, as was my CYA, and ph was high. I finally got the FC and cc to 2, the CYA to 60, the ph was still high at 8.0 and salt was 3800. I let the jandy aquapure run at 65%. 3-4 days later, the Chorine was zero. I just added some , I'll try once more to get it to the right spot, and see if it can hold. The pool company that buit my pool are...we'll let's just say there were a lot of mistakes, I'd prefer not to deal with them if possible.

If you don't have any warning lights on, your cell may be working but you may have a algae bloom beginning. Once you get a good test kit (with the correct instructions :) ) you'll be able to run a OCLT and know for sure.

I've ordered the TF-100 kit. until it arrives all I have are test strips. it registers no FC.

I'm not sure it helps but I've been having the water tested at Leslie's. here is a compilation of results:

Pool is 16,000 gal, swcg I live in scottsdale az
5/3 added CYA,CL, Acid 5/4 added acid 5/10 added salt rained 5/11 added Cl, Acid, cya 5/17

FC 0 2 3 0 0
TC 0 2 3 0 0
salt 3800 3800 2900 3400 3900
CH 250 300 420 250 250
CYA 20 20 60 60 80
PH 8.4 8.2 8.0 8.2 8.2
Acid dmd 6 4 12 3 6
Cu,Fe and PO have been zero except on last test PO was 200. temp 80 ish.

why would the hardness go up? I'm assuming it went down due to the rain, (although I didn't think there was much). I'm not sure of how much chemicals I put in each time, But over this period, besides boosting the SWG, I've added:

1.5 gal 35% Monosodium Cyanurate Monohydrate
2.25 gal 10% Hypoclorate
4 gal mercuric acid

(I think).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.