Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pumping out excess water without monitoring?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pumping out excess water without monitoring?

Due to the recent heavy rains in the northeast I need to pump some water out to pool or risk flooding my basement. In the past Iíve just used the pool cover pump but that requires frequent monitoring. Is there a platform or device out there that I can use to set the level of the amount I want taken out and attach the pump to it. This way I donít have to constantly monitor the pool?

Thanks!
    17x39 Rectangular, 20,000 Gal, Plaster, Pentair Easy Touch Automation and Remote
    Pentair WhisperFlow 2 hp pump with Pentair Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Master Temp Gas Heater, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend II Cleaner
    ..and one frog that thinks the pool is his.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pumping out excess water without monitoring?

Your cover pump should have a float switch. If it does, you could suspend it at the level you want and it should shut off at the desired level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/ľhp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, thanks. It's the suspention contraption I'm inquiring about. I was wondering if anything is commercially available to do that?
    17x39 Rectangular, 20,000 Gal, Plaster, Pentair Easy Touch Automation and Remote
    Pentair Master Temp Gas Heater, Pentair IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend II Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I haven't seen anything but a piece of foam should work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/ľhp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You could hang it from the diving board if you have one. If not, cantilever a 2x4 over the water with the pump suspended to the level you want.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

6. Back To Top    #6

You could also make a platform of bricks (or whatever) on the steps up to the right level and place the pump on it.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Great ideas all, thanks. I was thinking along the same lines but was hoping someone had a commercial solution!

8. Back To Top    #8

You and I must be total opposites. There could be 5000 commercial solutions to a problem but I'd rather scrounge around and cobble something together rather than spend the money. LOL

9. Back To Top    #9

Let's go a little more simple...You could use a hose and get primed to where it is siphoning the water out of the pool with gravity and then pull the end in the water up to the level you'd like the pool to be. once the water is siphoned out to this level the hose will pull in air loose suction and it will stop...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir