Snakes on a Cover (Plastic ones and not a movie)

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
Help me Samuel Jackson! :hammer:

So spring is in the air, pool has been open for 6 weeks and our local black bird population seems to find my pool to be the perfect location for:

Drinking water and leaving droppings
Doing dive bomb runs with ordnance deployed
Just general socializing

So off to the dollar store I went. I got six plastic snakes about 14" in length. Some green, some brown, some more tropical. I left three on the solar cover as it lays on the water as they land and stand as they drink and drop. After first night, two of the three on the pool.....GONE. I had one on a roof, one on top of a patio heater and one positioned on the 6' fence post. One of those three GONE.

Couple questions - I may try to replace and somehow anchor the snakes with fish line or something. Other than this, what can I do? I also have an owl decoy also now looking over the pool from atop my hot tub. Other suggestions welcome.

The droppings on the concrete, atop of the solar cover and clumps of it in the water MUST GO. Any help appreciated. (one would hope 50ppm of boric acid would deter, but guess not).

Thanks!

Ted

War of the Birds continues. I have repositioned more snakes, an owl and I just ordered Scare Eye balloons and Bird-X Peller Pro 2. In addition, I flushed two out of my arborvitae and plucked them off the high wire with my pellet gun. It's game on Mr. Black Birds!

thadius65 said:
War of the Birds continues. I have repositioned more snakes, an owl and I just ordered Scare Eye balloons and Bird-X Peller Pro 2. In addition, I flushed two out of my arborvitae and plucked them off the high wire with my pellet gun. It's game on Mr. Black Birds!
So, uh, you are pretty good at this game, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.