Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ***HELP*** Installation problems with new 24' round AGP!!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

***HELP*** Installation problems with new 24' round AGP!!!!!

Hi Everyone!

Its been a while since I posted. My husband and I recently moved and it wasn't practical to take our whole AGP with, so we took all of the equipment (filter, pump, heater, etc) and just left behind our old walls at the old house. For our new house, we bought just a pool, liner and new skimmer from Family Leisure and intend to hook up and continue to use our old pump, filter, and heater. The new pool is a Wilbar Reprieve, 24' x 48" and included with the purchase was a professional installation.

Well, our new yard is smaller than our old yard, and it has a lot more shade. The city inspector made us move the pool 10 feet south of where we wanted it, which put the pool closer into the shade. The pool now has about 1/2 sun and 1/2 shade at midday, with the pool getting progressively more shady as the afternoon goes on (not what we wanted at all, but as they say you can't fight city hall so we did what we had to do.)

On Monday the pool store came out to install the pool. Things seemed to be going well and the crew we got was very experienced (I even remembered one of the guys from our first pool install 4 years ago.) Here is a pic at the end of the installation:

Before the installers left, they called me outside to explaine about a problem with the liner. It seems the liner was stretching in well in the sunny area as the pool filled, but the other side in the shade was not stretching as well at all. The installers warned me to take the filling of the pool very slowly. The problem was obvious to me and so I have been following their directions carefully. They said to put a few inches of water in and then wait several hours for the water weight to stretch the shaded side of the pool. They advised to keep proceeding in that manner until the pool was filled. I've been doing that over the last 36 hours and the pool still has less then a foot of water in it. Well, tonight I went to check the pool and pull out the runnin hose. As I approached the pool, this is what I saw:

The shady side wall looks like it might be caving in?! Is that really what is happening? Can this be fixed and if so, how? Any and all advice is welcome.
    Thank you!
    Leanne
    Pool: 24' round by 48" deep AGP
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed pump, H100 Heater, sand filter, skimmer, using BBB (love it!)
    Hot tub: 2008 CalSpas, 8x8, 8 seats, 60+ jets, ozonator
    3 step bromine sanitation

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ***HELP*** Installation problems with new 24' round AGP!

I'd sure as heck be giving them a ring this morning, and confirming what I was told below...however, I suspect you're fine.

While I haven't SEEN it before, both the salesman and installers of our 24' AGP (also Family Leisure) told us this exact situation could occur under these exact conditions. They said it was "normal and expected" and not to worry, that as the pool filled over the bowed in side wall, it would push out to its normal shape.

Not having seen the issue occur, can't tell you how right they were...but it does seem to be something they've experienced before.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

3. Back To Top    #3

I would have the installer come and check it out. You may also want to look into having the trees and whatever trimmed so the pool area gets more sun.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That should pop back out as it fills, but I'd definitely have them come back out and look at it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with the others. I think you're totally fine there, but would call the installer just to have him ease my mind. You could probably just reach down over the side and pop that back out but the water will handle that chore when it gets there.
    24' dia. 52" Tall Costa Del Sol Plastic Resin by Trendium Pool Products
    250lb sand filter with 1.5 HP pump
    13,530 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

****UPDATE*****
    Well, I do appreciate the advice, thank you all so much. I made contact with the pool installers, and they reassured me. They told me at noon today to go ahead and resume filling. We were at 11 inches deep when we started at noon. They told me to go very slow using 1 hose running at a little more than a trickle. They said after letting the pool "rest" for 2 days that it would be ready to accept more water and that the water would push the sides out firmly as the pool filled. I ran the hose for the afternoon and got up to about 18 inches or so, and the pool was looking better! I was encouraged. I turned off the hose after supper. But when I went out around dusk, all was not well. The pool liner has now pulled back and down into the pool, leaving a gaping hole under the top rails along the back of the pool. I don't see how this is fixable? We are really in a mess now I'm thinking.

In retrospect, I think its just not warm enough out up here in Minnesota to install a pool in the shade. The sun really warms up the dark blue liner and makes it pliable even at lower temps (like low 70's) but in the shade its just not warm enough yet. Also, I had gone with an upgraded liner, so it was made of heavier, thicker vinyl. I think that made this situation more difficult too as the heavy liner just would not stretch as it should.

So, I will be calling the pool store in the morning to see what they will do to take care of this situation. What should I be expecting of them? Is the liner still usable? Or should I expect them to replace it? Is there anything else on the pool that might now be damaged?

This situation was just a bad roll of the dice for me. I think the pool company was well intentioned and tried to give good advice and do a good job. I got sound and similar advice from good people on this board whose opinions I respect and appreciate. Sometimes things just happen despite the best intentions of all involved. I'm still open to advice on this situation and hope that people feel free to chime in.

Thanks!
    Leanne
    Leanne
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed pump, H100 Heater, sand filter, skimmer, using BBB (love it!)

7. Back To Top    #7

They have not installed the returns and skimmer have they? If not perhaps the liner can be removed and placed in a sunny area of the yard to warm up for a couple of days and then try to set the liner again.

You may want to trim back the vegetation so the pool gets more sun.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    I would have the installer come and check it out. You may also want to look into having the trees and whatever trimmed so the pool area gets more sun.
    I have the same problem you have, I get the trees trimmed by a company owned by an arborist. They take off all the low lying branches, and suckers. Pretty much all branches pitching down. It cleared up a lot of sun for the pool. Now i get an extra hr of full sun and the tree looks great/healthy. Look for a company that uses arborists. If you get the wrong people they will just lollypop the tree which is not the worst, But not the best for the tree's health.
    26x16 rockwood keyhole vynil inground, waterway cartridge filter and swg, variable speed pentair pump, extra large skimmer with 2 main drains in deep end and 2 returns,Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, hayward tigershark qc robot. Being installed in late may early june. Woot!

9. Back To Top    #9

Here are a few pics, I know how much we all enjoy them:

I am calling the pool store now, wish me luck!!
    Leanne

10. Back To Top    #10

Good luck.

I don't see anything that can't be fixed. You won't need a new liner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit