Noob pool owner: we have a problem - need your help

Butterfly said:
I have not read your entire thread......

Have you done an OCLT?
I did. I kind of passed it the day before.
but last night I lost 3 ppm overnight [I think it's because DH left old infested vacuum in the pool, but maybe I'm wrong]

I thought I'll add more CYA when we clear the water, but if you think I must do it now, will do.

With a DE filter, it should take a few days (sand can take a while longer). You should see continual improvement ... just backwash whenever the pressure goes up 25% of the clean pressure.

jblizzle said:
With a DE filter, it should take a few days (sand can take a while longer). You should see continual improvement ... just backwash whenever the pressure goes up 25% of the clean pressure.
it takes a few days for the pressure to go up 25% :(

I really dislike this thing [the filter] - it scares me :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Noopa - how are you making out -- are you clearing up? I'm a little suspicious about your DE filter and cartridge condition...did you take them apart and clean them out?

I might have been inclined to have expected more improvement by the date of your last picture you posted. It does not seem your filter is doing its job -- compared to the time passage of my sand filter and my water when it was that color -- and sand filters are supposed to be slower.

Hi Swampwoman :wave:
It's official - the filter is broken. We have decided to replace it.
The water is even cloudier than before because of construction works...

[rambling]
I thought it would be great to get rid of rotting termite-ridden retaining walls around the pool, but it turns out kind of disastrous: we chose the cheapest option - ginormous concrete blocks and now the pool area looks like a public park or something :lol: , the lawn is ruined [DH devastated] , the pool is full of concrete dust and Darn.
[/rambling]

Anyway, will be keeping it at shock level till we find someone to replace the equipment.

Oh my, sorry to hear...but maybe a fresh start with a new filter will help you bond with it better ;)
I know how those everything's-connected projects go (bought a foreclosure) so my sympathy on the retainer wall.
I know DE filters are supposed to be vastly superior in terms of efficient filtering, but I do enjoy the comparative simplicity of my sand filter, which seemed only to require slavish backwashing in the beginning of the rehab, but has completely behaved in an uncomplaining fashion since.

Best wishes on your upgrade, and finding a pool mechanic you like.

A pool company person was supposed to come look at our equipment and discuss replacement/installation today, but they didn't show up :? Is it, like, 'normal'?

Good news - our blue swamp is consistently holding chlorine overnight... bad news - DH is threatening to convert it to a fish pond :shock:

The PB I like for mechanical actually calls me if he can't make it or is delayed, but the first time he was late I called the dispatcher and asked for his cell phone ;) ergo, he has learned to be specific with me. I don't think it's a great sign no one called you, but at the same time anyone decent is super busy right now, so be proactive and track him down before you give up on him. He might just be the best one in town!

noopa said:
Hi Swampwoman :wave:
It's official - the filter is broken. We have decided to replace it.
The water is even cloudier than before because of construction works...

[rambling]
I thought it would be great to get rid of rotting termite-ridden retaining walls around the pool, but it turns out kind of disastrous: we chose the cheapest option - ginormous concrete blocks and now the pool area looks like a public park or something :lol: , the lawn is ruined [DH devastated] , the pool is full of concrete dust and ****.
[/rambling]

Anyway, will be keeping it at shock level till we find someone to replace the equipment.

concrete retaining walls are the foundation for any other kind of surface so you can stucco them, put tile on them, stone, or even brick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.