Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG in cool climate

1. Back To Top    #1

Seattle area

SWG in cool climate

I live in Bellevue, WA, where the year-round mean temp varies from 41F to 67F. I only use a solar cover to help heat the pool during the swimming season; over the winter, I remove the cover and only circulate and sweep as required to keep the pool reasonably clean. I hardly use any chlorine during the off-season. As I understand it, the SWG doesn't work (produce chlorine) at temps below 58F. And I guess it doesn't really need to since algae doesn't form below 60F.

So here's my question:

If I were to install an SWG, could I essentially shut it down during the off-season and would that significantly extend the life of the cell?

32,000 gal. IG plaster (circa 1967); 24" dia sand filter; Jandy Lite 2 (250,000 BTU)
    1 hp circ. pump (Single speed, 53 gpm); 3/4 hp booster pump (Polaris 380)
    1 bottom drain, 1 skimmer, 2 return lines from circ pump, 1 return from booster pump, all 1-1/2" PVC plumbing

2. Back To Top    #2

New Caney, Texas

Re: SWG in cool climate

Over the winter here i turned mine off and just dosed with bleach when it needed it, that wasn't very often.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: SWG in cool climate

Yes, turning it off when it is cold will help extend the cell life at least a little bit. Most of them will shut themselves off anyway, but a few models don't.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School