Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Bout Those Worms ??

1. Back To Top    #1

How Bout Those Worms ??

Anybody have any tips on attempting to keep those slimy little buggers away from the pool decking/pool water and in the DIRT/grass where they belong (other then on a hook)? I've heard broadcast some lime in the grass around the whole perimeter of the pool in the grass about 10' out or so ?
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Bout Those Worms ??

We had 10 inches of rain last Friday night, while we were out of town, and when we came home on Sunday I had several thousand dead earth worms in the pool. It smelled like a swamp! I really wish I would have taken pictures, but I was too ****** off at the shape of my pool to take any. This was my first near disaster with our pool. Luckily with my TFP knowledge I knew how to react and fix the issue. In less then 24 hours I had a clean clear pool. BTW - I am not joking when I say we had thousand dead worms in our pool. It was beyond gross! If anyone knows how to keep them away please speak up!
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow, after last Friday's rains I probably had 50-100 worms in my pool and I thought I had it bad.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How Bout Those Worms ??

I have not done this yet, but I am thinking of adding at least a six inch patch of rocks for drainage and a two brick high wall after the rock next to the grass to act as a small barrier. This will also help block lawn mower clippings from entering the pool.

Thanks!
    David
    Sent from my iPhone using
    Tapatalk
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bibeaud
    I have not done this yet, but I am thinking of adding at least a six inch patch of rocks for drainage and a two brick high wall after the rock next to the grass to act as a small barrier. This will also help block lawn mower clippings from entering the pool.

Yeah I think that will be my plan as well for the little crawlers, will definitely help with the grass as well...I'll have to put it on the wish list for now though, maybe I'll pick up a bag of lime and test out that theory first.....
    24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

6. Back To Top    #6

How about creating a 5ft perimeter "kill zone" around the pool? Both of these control pests above and below. No need to biologically kill your whole lawn.
    or
    22 x 36 In Ground Vinyl - 23K Gal - Saltwater - Tara Liner
    1hp 2-speed Hayward Super Pump, Hayward 6060 Booster Pump
    Hayward SwimClear C3030 Filter, Hayward 400Btu NG Heater
    Hayward Aqualogic PS-4, Polaris 280 Cleaner, ColorLogic 4.0 LED

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah... why do the worms come to my pool to die?
    For years I have held the winter cover on with aqua-blocks and in the spring I have 5Gallons of worms in the pool. So last year I went back to water bags, end to end right along the coping and this spring another 5 gal of worms. Had a combined chlorine of 6.8 ... had to put 19g of 12% bleach to clear it up.
    Someone has to know how to keep the worms out!
    2001, 16x32, IG, Vinyl, 20k, solarattic.com PCSII heater, fiberstars lighting, new water 400 chlorinator, Hayward superpump 1hp, 36sq-ft DE, color-q pro-7, compool cp3810 controller,