I'm sure you've heard this before. We bought a nice house with a pool. 1st time home owner and pool owner with no prior pool experience but mechanically inclined.
Did my first testing with the kit the previous owner had. This is what I got:
0.7ppm residual chlorine
1Q muriatic acid required (based on 20k gallon pool)
100ppm total alcalinity.
My pool control panel shows 2600ppm salt levels. It was 2900 but drop within one and a half months due to rain and me filling the pool about 3 inches before the rain.
Here are some of my questions:
1. Can I trust a 5 or more years old test kit?
2. Should I add the 1Q of muriatic acid?
2a. If so, where should I pure it in? Just damp it in the main water body of the pool?
3. Where is this 2600ppm measurement coming from?
4. Should I be adding some sort of salt?
5. Do I have a SWG installed? Is it the skinny tube? Should I be adding the 3 inch white tablets in there? (see photo below)
Finally a friend dropped by before I did any testing and suggested me to add one of those big white 3inch tablets (chlorine?) in the skimmer basket as he saw some green algae in one of the skimmers of the pump for the waterfall (that is almost never used and the water there is static). How ofter should I be adding those?
Thanks for your help as I'm getting a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out what is going on.