1st time maintaining my own pool

Martha_D

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2012
Putnam, NY
I bought my house last year (in June), and out of fear used the previous owners pool guy to maintain my pool. This year, Im giving it a go on my own. Is there a reliable step by step list for opening my type of pool somewhere? (edit: I found the forum for this)

...please excuse my ignorance, I am only just learning now.

Also, I have a Hayward sand filter which (according to the pool cleaner) is very old. He told me that it would cost me $4000 to replace, and that it could go any time. I researched and saw that these filters go for around $450. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but was I being swindled??

but was I being swindled??
Perhaps he was talking about replacing much more than just the filter but your $450 figure is pretty accurate.

As you keep reading, probably the most important feature of our website id Pool School in the upper right hand corner of every page. Go into Pool School and read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry". It is mandatory for just startying out and it will probably prompt you to ask a lot of questions. We will all help. Welcome to the forum. :lol:

No, he only mentioned the filter. I guess that answers my question. He also told me it would cost 10K to replace some coping...Im going to venture a guess that that price is also inflated.

Im very glad I found this place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.