Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Frustrated..Green Water uhhhhh!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Frustrated..Green Water uhhhhh!!

Test results
    FC: shocked yesterday to 15ppm
    alk:90
    ph:7.8
    Cal:300
    cya:35

Ok.First let me preface this whole spill by telling you guys in the past I have not covered nor kept my pool running/clean in the winter. So you can imagine what it looks like when i attempt to open it in the spring. NASTY. Regardless, i shock, vacumm to waste, shock again vacumm to waste and in about 4-5 days its clear. i realize leaving it uncovered is probably not the best way to WINTERIZE.

I am new to bleach and baking soda this year, but have started using it instaed of the pool store equivelants. At the first of the year, i purchased an ionizer to help with sanitation and save a little money in the long run on sanitizer/oxidation. Jury is still out on that dicision. So about a month ago i opened my pool with above metioned method. And in a week or so, it was clear. After a week or two of swimming the ALK went up to 110ppm, and i oxidized about 1/2 gallon of bleach per week. That maintains about a 2ppm level in the pool. ph was still around 7.4. One morning i come out and the pool was slightly green and cloudy. The green did not look like algea instaed like a chalky material.?????The next day it was super green(could not see shallow end). ph was then 8.2, fc=0, alk= 110. i added acid. droped alk to 50 and ph to 7.6..then added baking soda to bring alk to 90 and ph is 7.8

filter has been runnin 24/7 (with sand replaced last week)..i shocked beginnig of last week to 15ppm FC, next day FC was nothing, repeated the process last wed to 20 ppm FC, next day it held 3ppm water still green. yesterday shocked again to 15ppm, this am water was slightly lighter green...

Any advice to clear this thing up?? i didnt think there was supposed to be any algea with the ionizers.
    Chad

Size-20,000 Gal
    Filter-Sand
    In Ground
    Vinyl
    pump size--AO Smith Pool Pump Motor 3/4 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Frustrated..Green Water uhhhhh!!

You should read the article on How To Shock You Pool in Pool School. It spells out the correct procedure for shocking your pool. Briefly, you need to add chlorine several times a day to maintain shock level, not just add a bunch of chlorine and then wait to see what will happen.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is it possible that I may be having a metal staining problem since i have an ionizer. And how should i approach my situation when i get home. Should i start by lowering the PH before continuously shocking the pool. or if in fact it is metal staining, is shocking still the correct approach
    Chad

Size-20,000 Gal
    Filter-Sand
    In Ground
    Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hi, Cahd,

Identify the stain first....organic or metal. Post back if you need some one to tell you how. Happy to help
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

not sure how to tell? although pool today is now blue/white/cloudy not green FC 8, alk..80, ph..8.2...
    better than its looked in the last week...added slightly more shock up too 15ppm as called for in "how to shock pool"..plan on letting filter run overnight and hope to see reults in morning.

we have aftermarket drop in steps in shallow i cant imagine much water flow through them...could this lack of flow be place for algea to hide and thrive??
    Chad

Size-20,000 Gal
    Filter-Sand
    In Ground
    Vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

Algae can hide out on any surface in the water. It is common to have "occult" algae in such places.

If your pH is 8.2 when your FC is 8, you need to lower the pH with acid.

The better you are at bringing the FC to shock level and keeping it there, the sooner this process will be over with.

7. Back To Top    #7

UPDATE:
    Water chem.
    ph..7.2
    alk..85
    fc..10

water cloudy blue and murky..looks like it may be clearing up..gonna let pump run for a few days..

is it possible that chlorine level is so high that its keeping it cloudy? or should i try floc.
    Chad

Size-20,000 Gal
    Filter-Sand
    In Ground
    Vinyl

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you have any CC's?
    Are you testing and adjusting your FC as often as you can?
    I don't think you're shocking correctly. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

No CC's
    just FC. unfortunately my kit only reads up to 5.0 ppm
    the higher readings are supplied by pool store. Although i have taken the level they have given me and ajusted according to pool calc. Not all at once either, but as many time as I can in small amounts
    Chad

Size-20,000 Gal
    Filter-Sand
    In Ground
    Vinyl

10. Back To Top    #10

well, after shock/floc my pool is operational and looking great. Thanks to BBB and the advise from you guys.

Thanks
    Chad

Size-20,000 Gal
    Filter-Sand
    In Ground
    Vinyl