FC: shocked yesterday to 15ppm
Ok.First let me preface this whole spill by telling you guys in the past I have not covered nor kept my pool running/clean in the winter. So you can imagine what it looks like when i attempt to open it in the spring. NASTY. Regardless, i shock, vacumm to waste, shock again vacumm to waste and in about 4-5 days its clear. i realize leaving it uncovered is probably not the best way to WINTERIZE.
I am new to bleach and baking soda this year, but have started using it instaed of the pool store equivelants. At the first of the year, i purchased an ionizer to help with sanitation and save a little money in the long run on sanitizer/oxidation. Jury is still out on that dicision. So about a month ago i opened my pool with above metioned method. And in a week or so, it was clear. After a week or two of swimming the ALK went up to 110ppm, and i oxidized about 1/2 gallon of bleach per week. That maintains about a 2ppm level in the pool. ph was still around 7.4. One morning i come out and the pool was slightly green and cloudy. The green did not look like algea instaed like a chalky material.?????The next day it was super green(could not see shallow end). ph was then 8.2, fc=0, alk= 110. i added acid. droped alk to 50 and ph to 7.6..then added baking soda to bring alk to 90 and ph is 7.8
filter has been runnin 24/7 (with sand replaced last week)..i shocked beginnig of last week to 15ppm FC, next day FC was nothing, repeated the process last wed to 20 ppm FC, next day it held 3ppm water still green. yesterday shocked again to 15ppm, this am water was slightly lighter green...
Any advice to clear this thing up?? i didnt think there was supposed to be any algea with the ionizers.