Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: phoshates

1. Back To Top    #1

What causes my pool to continue to be high in phosphates even after I have used 6 liters of phosfree? I use well water, does this cause the phosphates to be high?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: phoshates

Welcome to TFP!

Depending somewhat on your pool size, it is fairly easy to have a phosphate level high enough to require far more than 6 liters of phosfree.

There really isn't any point in worrying about the phosphate level. My phosphate level has been in the thousands for years without any problems at all. As long as you maintain appropriate FC levels it doesn't make any difference if there are phosphates in the water or not.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

As Jason said above, you will find thousands of people on this forum that never test for phosphates and never worry about them. Phosphate levels are not important to a well managed pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Burlington, ON, Canada

Are you using a sequestrant with phosphonic acid in it? I researched if this would lead to phosphates in the water and I 'think' the answer is yes, but I don't really understand chemistry. Maybe chemgeek or someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star 1HP (1.85) pump, Hayward sand filter
    Nine Fafco Sunsaver 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Louisiana

The thing to remember is, phosphates are algae food, as long as you have no algae it does not matter how much phosphates you have in your water.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6
    Orlando, FL

Don't sweat it. Focusing on phosphates to control algae is like getting rid of all your possessions to eliminate burglary. Just maintain the FC and you'll not only have no algae, you're water will be sanitary too.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]