What is a safe level of chlorine?

march2012

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2012
TX
this article overall seems good
http://www.poolspa.com/publications/sin ... ocktrt.htm

However they have a paragraph which says this:

<<If too much chlorine is added, it may take days to drop to safe levels (less than 5 ppm) before bathing can be resumed.>>

Based on the CYA/chlorine chart here, my target chlorine is around 6. People here have posted that up to shock levels of chlorine are safe.

so which is it?

You can trust the information you read here. We are fortunate to have some really astute folks on here who know and understand pool water chemistry. You can safely swim in FC at shock values as published in the FC/CYA chart.

There are a number of statements in that article that I strongly disagree with, including one of their basic premises. There is no need to shock the pool regularly. The only reason to shock is if you have some problem that needs to be addressed. They are also wrong about the breakpoint story, i.e. use 10x CC of FC rule, which is a myth and simply not true. They also fail to take into account how chlorine and CYA interact. Higher CYA levels require higher FC levels to have the same effective chlorine level. As long as your FC level is appropriate for your CYA level you are safe to swim.

i did a little more research and found debates on this topic in the poolforum pretty far back.

Lots of lack of research posted on both sides. Lots of municipal standards published such as commercial pools getting shut down over 100 ppm CYA or over 10ppm chlorine

march2012 said:
i did a little more research and found debates on this topic in the poolforum pretty far back.

Lots of lack of research posted on both sides. Lots of municipal standards published such as commercial pools getting shut down over 100 ppm CYA or over 10ppm chlorine
So... what are you looking for from us, specifically?

Ohm_Boy said:
march2012 said:

So... what are you looking for from us, specifically?

Does anyone have links to studies on the safety of higher levels of chlorine, especially in the presence of CYA. But even without CYA would be interesting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.