Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drained pool, starting over

1. Back To Top    #1

Drained pool, starting over

I have just successfully beat mustard algae in my pool because of this forum!! Thank you so much!! However, I believe my neighbor has had the same problem, probably because we shared some pool equipment and toys. Her pool has been drained and wiped clean and refilling has begun. She has an Intex Metal Frame 18' x 48" round pool. I am assuming, since we will be starting with new water, that less shock will be needed to beat her mustard algae. She has thrown away all pool toys, but we will submerge the ladder, vac, and hoses in the water. I want input on if my plan of attack is correct:

Here is the plan:
    1. Test all levels once the pool is filled to capacity. (I have the TF-100 kit)
    2. Bring to mustard algae shock level once CYA is known.
    3. Perform OCLT until it goes down by 1 or less a night.
    4. At that point make adjustments for any other values that are not in line (like ph, TA).

I think I have an understanding of pool chemistry at this point, but this forum is so AWESOME that I just had to ask if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks to all in advance!!!!

Jengi
    Intex 18 x 52 AG (about 7600 gallons) (1-year-old liner)
    Intex 16" sand filter and Krystal Clear SWG (both brand new)
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Southwest Louisiana

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drained pool, starting over

Remember to brush the entire pool while at shock level. Other than that, you have it right
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Will do! Thanks so much!
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Southwest Louisiana

4. Back To Top    #4

Remember that if you are filling with new water your, CYA will be 0. So the sun will be breaking down much of your FC. It might be helpful (although not required) to get the CYA up to 20-30ppm to protect some of the FC and the shock level is not too much higher.

Also, I thought it was generally recommended to get the pH in line before shocking as the test is unreliable with FC >10ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason, thanks so much...see that is why I wanted to ask...you guys point out things I forget about! I did plan to check all levels first and I will get the ph in range before we start shocking.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Southwest Louisiana