Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TF100 the best test kit?? what accessories?

1. Back To Top    #1

TF100 the best test kit?? what accessories?

If i am reading the comparisons correctly it seems like the tf100 does more than the other option??

Someone recommended the stirring stick ..... anything else worth buying? ... i do not use salt so i assume the salt tests are out?

Sorry to ask such basic questions but better to ask than stay silent!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF100 the best test kit?? what accessories?

The TF-100 is my favorite. For a standard pool without a SWG, the Speed Stir is the only significant option. I suppose you might also want borate test strips, but that is optional.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The TF-100 is definitely the best bang for your buck. The Speedstir is a great option also. If you don't have salt & don't plan on adding borates, those two things are all you need.

The only other thing I can think that you may want is a bottle of CYA standard to use to fine tune your CYA testing but that's completely optional.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Nobody who has a speedstir thinks they wasted money. Get one.

And you may as well spring for the TF100 with the XL option, because you'll be using a lot of FAS-DPD powder initially, playing with your new toy, and it saves postage to get the refill now rather than later.

I also hunted around on eBay and got more magnetic stir bars for the speedstir, so I can run all my tests before I need to dump anything and do the dishes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I also hunted around on eBay and got more magnetic stir bars for the speedstir, so I can run all my tests before I need to dump anything and do the dishes.
    ?? as a newbie i have no idea what you mean

thanks for the repsonses ..... i am going BBB so you will be hearing from me
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

6. Back To Top    #6

The speed stir is worth every penny.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

Just a note that if like what you are reading here and think that the knowledge may save you money maintaining your pool ... you can become a supporter on the forum you get a $10 discount on the TF100.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with Richard, you'll probably need a bit extra reagents the first year.

The magnetic stir bars are little magnetic 'pills', you drop them in the jar and the speed stir swirls the pill which swirls the liquid...just make sure you add the proper volumes (the pill displaces the liquid).
    I have a speed stir and I like it.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

9. Back To Top    #9

Like other's have said, the speed stir is worth the money, and it is nice to have extra stir bars. I bought 3 or 4 extra egg shaped ones off ebay for $10 or so, if getting them from ebay make sure to get ones small enough to fit in the speed stir tube.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

do you use speedstir with swg
    14 ft round 48inch
    intex saltwater sand system
    atlanta ga

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
    do you use speedstir with swg
    The Speedstir is can be used for several of the tests whether SWCG or not.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

12. Back To Top    #12

Speedstir is worth every penny! I also really love the sample sizer. I found it a tad bit tedious to try and get accurate samples. That little bar really speeds up and dumb proofs the process.

Good call on the extra magnets and tubes. That would help speed up the process. Now I know what I need to order next...
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

13. Back To Top    #13

Get the speed stir! I didn't in the beginning and when I did get it I couldn't believe I waited as long as I did. Worth every penny!!!You are going to be testing your water every day if not multiple times a day.
    22k gallons AG 30ft round, Hayward 2 speed 2hp motor, cartridge filter, Aquabot Rover Jr, Sunheater solar heater.

14. Back To Top    #14

Love my Speed Stir. Ordered an extra Taylor calibrated cylinder as those have a flat bottom inside. The "chlorine only" cylinder has that dome/bump in the bottom so the stir bar likes to jump around rather than spin smoothly in those. So now I have a "chlorine only" flat bottom cylinder.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok, this is probably a question asked a bunch but how long does the TF100 last before I will need to reorder supplies for it? I live in Belize and travel often to the states, so I want to make sure I can keep enough of the test items on hand to last a while.

So what I am asking is how many days of testing should I get before I will need to replace something and what have you seen gets used up in how long?

Thanks in advance for the help.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Lorethian View Post
    Ok, this is probably a question asked a bunch but how long does the TF100 last before I will need to reorder supplies for it? I live in Belize and travel often to the states, so I want to make sure I can keep enough of the test items on hand to last a while.

So what I am asking is how many days of testing should I get before I will need to replace something and what have you seen gets used up in how long?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Generally, about a year's worth of testing. If you're going to stockpile anything, it should be the R-0870 and R-0871 FAS-DPD reagents. Those are hard to find. The rest of them are standard Taylor reagents you should be able to find at almost any pool store in the US on your visits.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

New pool owner. Will be SWG. Can anyone provide links to best place to buy the TF-100 and recommended accessories? Amazon has multiple but would rather get the correct equipment first time. Thanks.
    17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

18. Back To Top    #18

http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
    I donated to this forum and got a discount.
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks I will do the same. Can anyone advise which kit or bundle to get for saltwater pool? There's essentially the kit bundle and kit bundle with XL.
    17'x35' 22,500 gal. Gunite IGP 3.5-8.0 ft. IC60 SWG, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains, 4 returns. CCP520 cartridge filter, 3hp IntelliFlo 2 VST VSP, EasyTouch 4, ScreenLogic2, 2 IntelliBrite Color LEDs, Poolmiser autofill, UltraTemp 120R H/C 125K BTU heat pump, Diamond Brite Super Blue, No spa or water features.

20. Back To Top    #20

XL Will prevent you from the need to reorder as soon.

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast