Switching from Sustain to BBB? Any concerns?

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
I bought a house three years or so ago with an existing inground pool.

Someone recommended the local pool place and i brought my sample in and they put me on the Sustain regimen. I have had outstanding results and am happy except for the exorbitant cost.

Which brings me here ..... with a question or two.

I understand the need for a test kit and the chemicals involved.

Are / is there anything to be concerned with as i make the switch? I used a guy to close the pool the first year and he was telling me that using household chemicals could cause problems with liners etc.

Any truth to that??

Any other gotchas to watch out for??

Hey,

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Of course, household chemicals are no more danger than anything else IF you understand the correct use of them. BBB teaches correct dosages through accurate testing and predictable results.

Common sense tell us that a gallon of bleach in the pool is a good thing but 1,000 gallons is probably not 1000 times as good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BBB teaches the common sense limits allowing you to manage your pool yourself.

About the only "gotcha" is that BBB teaches there is no "magic bullet" pool care.

Common sense and the willingness to take charge of your pool is about all that's required. It is actually quite a liberating feeling to realize that you know more about pool water chemistry than 80-90% of the pool store experts.

Sustain uses cal-hypo, so you will want to check your calcium levels. As far as I know, there is no reason why you can't just begin using liquid chlorine unless the test results say you need to drain to reduce CYA or calcium. Post a complete set of test results and we can advise you from there.

Not knowing what Sustain is, I'd be concerned that the CYA may be sky high and/or that it uses metal ions which can cause staining. Metals can also cause green hair and technicolor water if you shock it.

If the water's clear right now, that's good. Once you get a test kit (and I recommend a speedstir, too) you'll know if you have troubles or not.

Sustain is essentially cal-hypo plus a special CYA alternative. As long as their summer shield hasn't been added since last summer there shouldn't be any problems simply starting to use BBB, without any conversion process.

I haven't done a thing other than take the cover off because we were about to get a huge rainstorm and i wanted to have less water to pump off the cover.

The water is crystal clear right now.

I am ordering the test kit today and will post results of my test.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.