Booster pump a goner, do I upgrade main pump

Jun 15, 2010
Hi,

My Polaris 280 booster pump needs replacement and I have a WhisperFlo WFE-3, 3/4hp as main pump. My rates are $0.25 kwh. Do I upgrade my main pump to a 2-speed or variable speed pump with a pool cleaner that doesn't require booster pump(eg Polaris 360)? Or do I get a booster pump for the 280 as well as upgrade my main pump? My pool has a high debris load but my 280 does an excellent job, so I am afraid to switch. Is it difficult to run a 2- or variable- speed pump with the booster pump-requiring Polaris 280?

Appreciate your input.

I guess my main objective is to save energy costs in light of my $0.25 kwh rates. On the other hand, I am afraid of switching out my Polaris 280 since it does such a good job. Ideally, I imagine, one pump with a pressure driven pool sweep that doesn't require a booster pump would be most energy efficient(other than a robotic cleaner). But will that keep the pool clean with minimal hassle?

And, I don't have an automation system.

A downside to a booster is, as you recognize, costs a little bit more in energy but also you have extra moving parts to maintain. Also if either pump fails, you risk losing filtering capacity. However, this all depends on how much capacity you need to meet gpm turn requirements.

I have decided to eliminate my booster pump and buy a Polaris 360, and after I save some money upgrade to a variable speed pump. Can my Whisperflo(WFE-3) 3/4hp, 1.67 SF run the 360 in the interim?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.