Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster pump a goner, do I upgrade main pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster pump a goner, do I upgrade main pump

Hi,

My Polaris 280 booster pump needs replacement and I have a WhisperFlo WFE-3, 3/4hp as main pump. My rates are $0.25 kwh. Do I upgrade my main pump to a 2-speed or variable speed pump with a pool cleaner that doesn't require booster pump(eg Polaris 360)? Or do I get a booster pump for the 280 as well as upgrade my main pump? My pool has a high debris load but my 280 does an excellent job, so I am afraid to switch. Is it difficult to run a 2- or variable- speed pump with the booster pump-requiring Polaris 280?

Appreciate your input.
    25,000 gal, plaster, DE filter Pentair 48 sq ft, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, main pump Pentair WhisperFlo 3/4 hp model WFE-3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster pump a goner, do I upgrade main pump

You can do either. It really depends on what you want to do. Do you have an automation system? If so it's easy to run the booster and a variable speed. Even with a timer it's not hard to do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I guess my main objective is to save energy costs in light of my $0.25 kwh rates. On the other hand, I am afraid of switching out my Polaris 280 since it does such a good job. Ideally, I imagine, one pump with a pressure driven pool sweep that doesn't require a booster pump would be most energy efficient(other than a robotic cleaner). But will that keep the pool clean with minimal hassle?

And, I don't have an automation system.
    25,000 gal, plaster, DE filter Pentair 48 sq ft, Polaris 280 w/booster pump, main pump Pentair WhisperFlo 3/4 hp model WFE-3

4. Back To Top    #4

A downside to a booster is, as you recognize, costs a little bit more in energy but also you have extra moving parts to maintain. Also if either pump fails, you risk losing filtering capacity. However, this all depends on how much capacity you need to meet gpm turn requirements.
    AG Pool
    12,000 gallons
    Sand dollar filter, 1.5 pentair pump

5. Back To Top    #5

The most energy efficient path would be a variable speed pump and a pressure side cleaner that doesn't require a booster pump. The Polaris 360 gets good reviews and should work fine for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Ditch the booster pump and go with a robotic cleaner.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

I have decided to eliminate my booster pump and buy a Polaris 360, and after I save some money upgrade to a variable speed pump. Can my Whisperflo(WFE-3) 3/4hp, 1.67 SF run the 360 in the interim?

8. Back To Top    #8

Your WhisperFlo should handle it just fine. The WFE-3 is a lot bigger pump than the 3/4th HP implies.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator