Help -Pump is dying - need recommendations

Bent6

May 12, 2012
Jackson, TN
I currently have a Hayward Super Pump 1.5hp single speed pump on my pool that is going on it's 5th season. Upon opening the pool this year, the pump started making a loud whirring noise. It quietened down for a while but now it's nosier than ever. I was hoping I could make it through this season since I just invested in a SWG but it's not sounding good.

I know I can replace the motor/bearings/seal but am contemplating if it wouldn't be more reasonable to just replace the entire pump with a more efficient variable speed pump. I have looked at the Hayward Ecostar SVRS. Any opinions on this pump? Or should I just keep what I have and fix it?

Also, my pump currently does not have a timer and runs 24/7 during pool season. The pool store advises against only running the pump part time but it seems to be common practice with a lot of people. Is that just another pool store runaround?

Opinions, advice, input is appreciated!

If your pump is below water level, or if it is only a foot above water level and you have tight plumbing, Hayward makes a two-speed 1 HP pump (SP1592-2S) that is inexpensive, quiet, and will save you oodles of electric bill money--especially if you've been running the pump 24 hours a day. You can run it at LO speed all day and it will only use about 30% of the electricity that your other pump used, maybe even less! You can still use HI speed for vacuuming or backwashing, then switch it back to LO speed for normal operation. I have customers that are EXTREMELY pleased with it...

I cannot imagine running a Hayward 1.5 HP pump 24 hours a day here in Hawaii! We pay about $0.46 per kWH...YIKES!! One of my customers with a really nice pool installed over 100 PV panels on his roof...his electric bill went from $1500/month down to $75/month!

Aloha!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.