Any regrets?

IMHO, a swg pool is orders of magnitude easier to maintain than anything else. Cells are expensive but I'm going to guess they more than pay for themselves over time. If you take the plunge, I recommend over-sizing so you won't have run your pumps longer than necessary. My cell is rated for 40K gals and my pool is only 18K.

Cells are expensive but I'm going to guess they more than pay for themselves over time
No, they won't quite do that. Bleach is pretty much the cheapest way to sanitize your pool. SWG's should be considered because of the convenience and ease of use they provide, but not cost savings.

No regrets. No more shlepping bleach from store to car, car to garage, garage to pool. No more spilling bleach on clothes and ruining them. Now testing less and maintaining great numbers.

duraleigh said:
Cells are expensive but I'm going to guess they more than pay for themselves over time
No, they won't quite do that. Bleach is pretty much the cheapest way to sanitize your pool. SWG's should be considered because of the convenience and ease of use they provide, but not cost savings.

Yes, I agree with this. The cost of the cell replacement kept going up and based on my onw experience, it only last 3-4 years. Sometimes I wonder if the manufacturer increased the price only because the cost of Chlorine going up too. I can't imagine the cost of making the cell going up that fast. SWG is not a cost saving factor, just labor and better water quality.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My cell lasted 6 years and that's here in Tucson where pools are open year round and swim season goes from mid april to thanksgiving. Cost to replace about $500. So about $85 per year for chlorine, not bad. My pool was designed as a salt pool, cantilever concrete deck with vinyl, no natural stone anywhere. So for me it has been great.

Some of those with a lot of stone features have complained of the salt damaging the stone. That is about the only complaint I have ever heard.

chiefwej said:
My cell lasted 6 years and that's here in Tucson where pools are open year round and swim season goes from mid april to thanksgiving. Cost to replace about $500. So about $85 per year for chlorine, not bad.
more like $220/year there chief... but who's counting? :wink:

Beez said:
chiefwej said:
My cell lasted 6 years and that's here in Tucson where pools are open year round and swim season goes from mid april to thanksgiving. Cost to replace about $500. So about $85 per year for chlorine, not bad.
I didn't have to replace the entire unit, just the cell at a cost of $500. $500/6 years= $83.33 per year chlorine cost. What am I missing?

chiefwej said:
Beez said:
chiefwej said:
I didn't have to replace the entire unit, just the cell at a cost of $500. $500/6 years= $83.33 per year chlorine cost. What am I missing?
:lol: but the unit had to be purchased before it could generate your chlorine, so you have to factor in that cost!

On my 2nd year using a SWG for an above ground 18' round pool and am very happy with not having to buy hardly any chemicals and seldom having to check chemical levels. I remove the SWG cell from the pool from Oct thru April so should get a lot of years out of it. My SWG is able to get my pool up to shock level after about 4 days and keeps FC at 3-4 at only 10 to 15% production. If you keep the salt at the right amount there is just a slight salty taste to water. I paid about $470 for mine and with only using it 4 months of the year hope to get 10 years but probably won't.

Here is the one I got...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EL40NG/ref ... wo=&hvqmt=

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it is a good thing. Less maintenance is what I'm looking for. Ok, with that being said, suggestions for a good one for a 15500 gallon pool??? I would like to have a plug in model but that's not a deal killer if it has to be hard wired.

chiefwej said:
Beez said:
:lol: but the unit had to be purchased before it could generate your chlorine, so you have to factor in that cost!

So when someone asks how much per year it cost to heat your house do you include the cost of a furnace and duct work in your response?

chiefwej is closer to being correct. Assuming he paid about $500 originally, he has paid about $85 per year for 6 years of use. He has just paid ahead on his next 6 years which hopefully will also be $85 per year. If he had paid say $800 originally, that would still only be about $135 per year. We could add in salt and electricity costs as well, but I think they would be negligible per year.

If his unit happens to break down, then you can start adding in the costs related to the broken device.

Rick

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.