A request for guidance

How long does your pump run each day? Is it on a timer? That amount of time usually equals how long your SWG is running. You need to be sure it is running long enough.

Was your most recent test after it had been running awhile?

Another problem could be that you don't have enough salt in the pool. If the level is too low or too high then the SWG doesn't work efficiently. Each system has its own minimum and maximum levels. You need to know what those are and try and stay close to the high side of it. Each time you backwash or it rains then you lose salt. Not a big deal when you stay on the high side. I end up adding a bag (40lbs) a few times a year.

Does the panel have a readout of the salt level? I would have the pool store test salt every time you have them test anything. The strips you can buy to test at home are probably pretty basic. Usually it's a good idea to know your salt level from the store and from your panel. I don't think that they usually match but will give you an idea. Add salt according to what your panel says it has.

If you do have to buy a new cell then I would get one that is sized for a larger pool than what you have. That way you can run it at a lower % and it may last longer. Does the whole SWG system look very old? You said you thought the pool was built about 5 years ago. I personally wouldn't buy a new cell for a very old system unless it was a solid name brand. You can find them online.

SWGs are awesome. Once you get over this hump you will love it. If mine broke today I would drop $1000 on a new one tomorrow without thinking twice. I would, however, try and find a zero interest for a year deal like I did at Leslie's the last time I did it. That was great.

The pump runs 12 hours per day normally. The last several days I have had it running 24 hrs due to the beginning algae bloom. The testing has occurred during system run time.

The readout on my remote indicates that I have 2700ppm of salt. The pool calculator recommends adding 42lbs. I will do that tomorrow. I also noticed that pipe splits and runs the SWG in parallel with another pipe with a ball valve that rejoins after the SWG. Should this valve be open or closed?

One thing is for certain, I need to shock the pool due to the algae. After I get the salt normalized and the pool shocked and cleaned up, I will run some more tests and watch the trend. Rest assured. I will post my results.

I really appreciate all of the advise you are all helping with.

I would shock the pool with liquid chlorine/bleach and get the algae under control before worrying about the swg. You'll never know is it's working right if the pool needs to be shocked.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The pipe in parallel with the SWG with a valve is a bypass, so the SWG doesn't get the full flow rate of the pump. I'm not sure why you would have one, nearly all of the SWGs made are fine with the full flow from a 1 HP pump. The valve should either be closed, or mostly but not quite completely closed. What brand/model of SWG do you have?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.