Pool store seems to want me to add more chemicals???

Jul 12, 2011
London, ON, Canada
I just opened my pool. Of course no chlorine so I shocked with bleach. Only to 5ppm, but it looks good and no CC. With the dilution from adding snow and rain and refilling, I figured my salt would be down, but I was amazed that my SWG says 2400. I haven't added CYA yet (planning to soon as I understand that last years will all be gone) so I assume its 0; it was 70 last year.

Here are my numbers after 24 hours, which seem OK according to trouble free pool:
pH FC/CC TA CH Temp
7.4 2.0/0 90 120 64

I thought I'd get a pool salt check before adding in the salt, which agreed 2400.
Pool Calc says 84 lbs salt, Pool store says 160 lbs, but try 80 lbs first, as that might do it.

But Pool store also said that Calcium is too low, add 7 kg Hy-cal. I notice my CH is 120 (was all year as well) Settings for pool calculator say "traditional pool", which raises CH recommendation to 200-400 vs trouble free pool settings of 50-300. It's only $10 worth of Calcium and my wife already bought it, - should I add it?

Also, Pool store says "Phosphates 1000, should be 500" - recommend 1.5 litres of Phos-Free - I don't know how to relate this to the pool calculator.

Suggestions?

What type of pool do you have?? Vinyl or plaster?? I'd also make sure you test your CYA before adding. Don't just assume it all went away, as there's a good chance it didn't. I ended last year with a CYA level of 20....and started this year with 15. Test before adding.

tturkstr said:
I haven't added CYA yet (planning to soon as I understand that last years will all be gone) so I assume its 0; it was 70 last year.
I assumed that too since that what happened before last season to my pool (went from 70 to 0 over winter), however this year my cya level only went down to 30 ppm during the offseason (down from 60 ppm end of last season) and some of that can be due to draining for winterization. I would test it.

tturkstr said:
But Pool store also said that Calcium is too low, add 7 kg Hy-cal. I notice my CH is 120 (was all year as well) Settings for pool calculator say "traditional pool", which raises CH recommendation from 200-400 vs trouble free pool settings of 50-300. It's only $10 worth of Calcium and my wife already bought it, - should I add it?
What surface do you have? If it's vinyl, don't add it, you don't need it. If it is plaster then you may want to add it, but use poolcalculator to give you an amount. Easy to add, but drain/refill to take away.

tturkstr said:
Also, Pool store says "Phosphates 1000, should be 500" - recommend 1.5 litres of Phos-Free - I don't know how to relate this to the pool calculator.
Do not worry about phosphates. A properly chlorinated pool can have very high phosphates (some on here around 4000) levels without problems.

Be sure to test the CYA before adding more, it does not always "go away" over the winter. If your pool has a vinyl liner then your CH is fine. If you have a plaster surface the CH needs to be at least 250.

Thanks for the input. I reread the manual for my AquaRite and it says 3 places to have the Calcium 200-400. Is that them covering for some people having plaster pools, or does the AquaRite run better with more Calcium?

I'll check the CYA this evening, as the AquaRite says I should have 60-80 of CYA as well.

Thanks, Tim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.