Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Natural sand vs Zeo Sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Natural sand vs Zeo Sand

HELP!!! My manufacture says to use natural sand and my local stores say to go with the Zeosand... What do you guys use and are there any drawbacks to using either or? Thanks
    14,667 gallon 26x52 Intex Ultra Frame
    INTEX 2650 GPH Sand Filter/Pump
    Houston, Texas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Natural sand vs Zeo Sand

Zeo filters a bit better, but has a fairly high complaint rate. Because of the frequency of problems we don't recommend it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Folks on here use both. Natural sand is a given with no surprises. There have been enough troublesome posts about Zeo on here that I would not recommend it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

First let me say compared to the first two respondents I am like Sergeant Shultz, I know nothing.

That said I have been using Zeo for a year or so with no problems at all. I replaced an old DE filter that was a part time job to keep up with the broken grids on but kept the water sparkling. The sand filter with zeo keeps my water looking every bit as nice but can be backwashed and rinsed in five minutes. I don't miss the DE at all. Even though my system can go so long without backwashing that I upgraded the guage because I was worried something was wrong wih the old one, it is nice to have a filter so easy to service that if the pool ever got so out of hand that I had to clean the filter a few times a day while shocking, I wouldn't be cursing the pool.

So far I love it. If that ever changes I guess I'll just throw out the zeo and put sand in it. Either way let us know what you decide.
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

5. Back To Top    #5

I had the same question when I filled my sand filter last month. I ended up going with regular sand as I just did not get a good feeling about the Zeo sand.

Opened the pool with intial cloudy water and the water was crystal clear the next morning, so not sure what the Zeo cold have done better. I'll be sticking with sand becasue it works and (as stated above) "Natural sand is a given with no surprises."
    Intex 22x52 - New 2017
    3/4 HP Doheny Pump
    16" Hayward filter
    Intex SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

If it ain't broke whatever you do, don't fix it.
    10,800 gallons Gunite/Plaster
    Hayward 244t 24" Sand Filter with Zeo
    1 1/2 HP Challenger
    Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 SC-48
    Located in NOLA

7. Back To Top    #7

I am using Zeo. Started last year and will open again this year with Zeo. I am quite happy with it. That being said, the reason I bought the Zeo was because I couldn't find any suitable sand media. It's working perfectly, but I still would have gotten regular sand had I been able to find it. Why? Because of the complaints I have read.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Just wanted to say that I have been using regular sand with my pump thanks to negative posts I read here about ZeoSand and was even told the same by the salesman at Leslies who you would think would want to upsell me to the more expensive ZeoSand but he seemed really honest and helpful. I would go with regular especially if price is a factor because sand sells for anywhere between $3-$10 for 50lbs. bags here depending what store you purchase from and around $24 for a bag of ZeoSand.
    10'(round) x 30"(deep) Intex Easy Set AG Pool 1,500 gal | Intex 56673EG 14-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 0.5 horse power pump with 1,600 gph (6.0m3/hr) flow

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank all you for your response. After reading all your post and and doing a little research, I think I'm going with regular sand. Again thank you all!!!
    14,667 gallon 26x52 Intex Ultra Frame
    INTEX 2650 GPH Sand Filter/Pump
    Houston, Texas

10. Back To Top    #10

My builder suggested a sand filter for all of the reasons listed above. Easy to use and hands-free cleaning. Trouble is that it only provides relatively coarse filtering. However, after adding a robotic cleaner that filters down to 2-3 microns I really don't feel like the sand filter's coarseness is an issue any more. In fact, since adding the robotic to my pool cleaning regimen I only need to backwash the sand filter every 3-4 months. Bottom line: I was considering zeosand for its fine filtering capability but not any more based on the feedback from other posters and the filtering performance of adding a robotic cleaner.
    Chris Pitre
    Houston, Texas
    28000 gallon gunite with plaster finish
    Elevated spa with stone creek bed between spa and pool
    Two fountains in swim out area
    Water slide
    Swim up bar with bar stools
    Baja shelf
    Chlorine pool with 2 Hayward Ecostar SVRS pumps, sand filter, 400k BTU nat gas heater, Dolphin robotic cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

3 seasons on sand, no problems here.
    One of the local pool places here only carries Zeo....I know the only reason is because the profit margin is better, his competitor carries sand and got my business.

one thing I learned during my pool research is that the old tried and tested methods of pool care just work, nothing wrong with new things but they aren't better just because their new.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list