Taylor salt test vs Easy touch

Jan 20, 2012
West KY
Hey everybody. I understand from reading this site that a +/- 400 result is the norm. Here's my situation:
Easy Touch panel says 3050 ppm
Taylor salt test shows 3800 ppm

My water temp is 74 today

Which is likely to be closer to correct? Trying to decide whether to add a little more salt or not

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

The Taylor test is more likely to be "correct". On the other hand, it is the SWG that you need to keep happy. How old is the SWG cell? Old cells, or scaling, will often make them read lower than actual.

Seems there can be some wild fluctuations in that salt measurement from the easytouch. I've got the same equipment as you and my reading went from 3700 to 4350 back down to 3900 over the course of a few days with no changes to the water or anything else. The 3900 reading was more to my expectations (just knowing how much salt was put in and the pool volume), and when I measured it with some test strips last night, that's about what I got.

So, for me, I'm relying on the test strips from now on.

I had an issue like this last summer, but more severe. The ic-40 was reading mid 2500 ppm +- but the Taylor test was at 3600 ppm. At that level it stopped working and I didn't want to add more salt just so the ic-40 thought it was right. After somewhat of a hassle, they gave me a new cell last fall, as of yesterday the ic-40 read 3450 ppm the Taylor test 3400 ppm, water temp 80 deg. There is supposedly some correlation between water temp and the salt reading, cooler water will read lower salt, I haven't seen that. Since the new unit was installed the readings have been within 200 ppm no matter what the water temp has been.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.