Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you have a problem with chlorine losing strength?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you have a problem with chlorine losing strength?

One reason I haven't gotten a liquidator is that. Our summer days are well over 100 degrees, and my plumbing is not shaded. I'm afraid that I'll fill the liquidator and the chlorine inside will get so hot it will lose a good part of it's strength before it's used up. Also, is the liquidator UV proof? If not, that will also allow the chlorine to lose strength before it's used up.
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you have a problem with chlorine losing strength?

If you use 6% bleach it'll last plenty long enough to still be mostly full strength by the time it's used up. You could always paint the vessel and just leave a stripe unpainted.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Do you have a problem with chlorine losing strength?

Quote Originally Posted by Swimgirl
    One reason I haven't gotten a liquidator is that. Our summer days are well over 100 degrees, and my plumbing is not shaded. I'm afraid that I'll fill the liquidator and the chlorine inside will get so hot it will lose a good part of it's strength before it's used up. Also, is the liquidator UV proof? If not, that will also allow the chlorine to lose strength before it's used up.
    I dont have one, but others have posted that because the liquidator is continually in contact with pool water it stays at pool water temperature.

I have a peristaltic pump and have buried my chlorine tank.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating