HELP with hayward 4820 de filter leak

lungs414

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2012
Eastern Long Island,New York
It seems the threads on the drain port on the bottom tank are stripped a little. Since the bottom of the filter is at least $300, I thought of a possible cheaper fix, that have some benefits. Here's my idea:
Glue on a 1 1/2" PVC male adaptor then an 1 1/2" PVC ball valve. It would also make it easier for future maintenance.
What do you think?

Re: hep with hayward 4820 de filter leak

If the treads on the tank are stripped and leaking, how would putting anything other than a cap benefit?

A cap with a rubber O-ring gasket should not leak if the O-ring presses cleanly onto the tank. If the threads won't allow that, then the lower half of the tank needs to be changed out if the threads can't be re-chased and made right.

Scott

Re: hep with hayward 4820 de filter leak

Thanks for the response. Right now with a heavy amount of teflon it is holding ok. I just thought by using the pvc cement on an 1 1/2 male adaptor then a ball valve it would eliminate any worries of a big leak when I'm not home, and still be functional and very cost effective.

BTW I had a bad weak with this filter, when I opened the pool and power vacuumed I accidently had the multiport in backwash and not waste. My grids are packed with DE and im debating just getting a new set of grids, to allow me time to try and clean them and have them as a spare. I googled and there are so many mfg's of grids do you have any recommendations?
Thanks so much
Rich

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.